Raydium Touch Screen on Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Not Working


About a year ago I got a family member a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 (Model: 81WE00NKUS) for Christmas. I helped install Pop! OS on it which has been working, with the exception of the touch screen, for a year. We had to jump through some hoops to get the touch pad working but could never figure out the touch screen, which worked in Windows no problem.

Long story short, an update from Pop OS 20.04 to 21.10 failed very badly (dropped my family member back to a BusyBox prompt) and I had to walk her through creating a bootable Manjaro flash drive, booting Manjaro, mounting the internal HDD, saving data to external USB storage, manual partitioning (in order to create separate /home partition), installing Manjaro, and restoring data, all over the phone.

We did all that work and did the aforementioned work around to get the touch pad working, and at this point the laptop is working perfectly with the exception of the touch screen. I’ve tried to find how to get the touch screen working but have run into the limits of my own understanding for how to perform this fix.

The touch screen is, as best as I can tell, connected over the USB bus, as it shows up with the command lsusb as:

Raydium Corporation Raydium Touch System

When I looked for other people who had issues with the Raydium Touch System, I found this answer on the Arch forum of someone who fixed it with the solution as follows:

I added “usbcore.quirks=2386:433b:bk” to my kernel parameters and the touchscreen started working. The “2386:433b” is the ID for the touchscreen from lsusb so change that part if it’s not the same for you.

I’m not sure how exactly you add kernel parameters so I can’t advise my family member with what to try.

Can anyone please advise for how to add something to kernel parameters? It seems like this should be fairly easy…maybe?

Or if I’m going down the wrong path, please advise what else needs to happen to get the touch screen working. Lots of things that I read basically said “just wait, it will be included in the kernel eventually” but it’s been a year and I think that the Raydium touch system is already in the kernel, it is just not working for some reason.

This is probably not Gnome specific but the Manjaro installation is the Gnome version.

Assuming that suggestion is correct, we will of course need the correct ID. But in the example below I will use the one shown by that commenter as if it is correct.

Edit /etc/default/grub on line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX so that, assuming no other options are there, it will look like this:


Then run:

sudo update-grub

(and reboot)

1 Like

Thank you. I didn’t think to look up “how to add kernel parameters” until after I posted the OP but found on the Arch wiki a whole section dedicated to kernel parameters, and how you can edit the kernel parameters at boot on the grub screen by pressing “e” on the desired kernel entry, so I am first having the family member test if adding the parameter is successful in getting the touch screen working, and if it is, then I’ll have them update grub using the method above and come back here to update the post.

Reasonable - the ‘e’ method is by nature temporary and only lasts the single boot.
Though, it will be applied in a less-than-familiar fashion … the grub editor is more basic than even a lot of the terminal text-editors like nano, and the user will of course have had to manually write down the values and all instead of doing a copy/paste from within the comfort of the desktop.
Nothing wrong with that - just mentioning it for the sake of that user (and you since you are helping)

Of interest for you may also be these by the way:

[HowTo] Provide System Information

[HowTo] Resolve an unbootable Manjaro (black screen, login failed, cant boot, etc)

[HowTo] use public command-line pastebin services without installing anything!

1 Like

I figure using the ‘e’ method will be good for testing if it works or not. If not then reboot and back to square one, no need to re-update GRUB.

UPDATE: Editing grub at boot with ‘e’ and adding usbcore.quirks=2386:4339:bk to the appropriate line has fixed the problem! This is something that has bugged me for a year, so, huge relief there!

I will have my family member try editing /etc/default/grub and doing update-grub to make the change permanent but I think this is resolved!

Glad you got your issue resolved!

Next time, please use the solution button below the solving post instead of editing thread titles, as I’ve done now.

1 Like

Duly noted, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.