Ram usage increase without opening new applications

Little help,

my ram usage increases over time for some reason unknown to me. my system idles about 4.5GiB. If I leave my system on and idle for extended periods of time my ram usage will creep up to a maximum of 12GiB that I have recorded thus far. I am monitoring applications and processes running, Can any one point me towards how to solve this?
thanks in advance

OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64

Kernel: 5.10.84-1-MANJARO
DE: Plasma 5.23.4
WM: KWin
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (16) @ 4.700GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Memory: 4027MiB / 32080MiB

Monitor which program is doing this with htop, system monitor or a similar program. See how much ram is being used by the different programs. Sounds like one of them has a serious memory leak.

1 Like

share your system info inxi -Fazy

1 Like

You can see which process uses most memory by running this command in the terminal:

for i in {1..10};do date; /usr/bin/top -b -o +%MEM | head -n 17|tail -11;sleep 5;done                                                                                                                                                            

It’ll run until it’s terminated with Ctrl+C and every second or so output the highest memory users. Then it’s quite easy to find the process causing the high memory usage and do something about it.

2 Likes

Your system is using your RAM for caching in order to increase performance, because unused RAM is useless RAM.

The cache size is dynamic and is adjusted according to the needs of the moment. If more RAM is needed for a certain application and/or its data, then the kernel will either release some of the cache memory or page out some of the data for applications that aren’t currently in use to the swap partition or swap file.

There is nothing to worry about. Linux ─ the kernel ─ is very good at managing memory.

1 Like

Better than a LOT of people, yeah.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.