I got a new pc this weekend and I am struggling to get the graphics card to work.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
Mainboard: MSI B550-A Pro
I wanted to reuse my SSD with manjaro for this pc. The old install had an amd card as well (radeon RX 640)
Whenever I boot i arrive at a blinking cursor. Terminals work as expected fortunately.
Looking into journal I get the following error:
Devices detected, but none match those in the config file
Fatal Server error:
no screens found
I tried several things so far:
- uninstalling old amd drivers via mhwd
- installing new drivers via mhwd (tested free and nonfree)
- reinstalling mesa,vulkan, etc by hand
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 2to gdm.service config (some threads suggested that the dm is loaded before the driver were able to be loaded)
- added Modules into mkinitcpio (beforehand it was empty, now
- removing the card alltogether and trying to use the onboard radeon HD card (didn’t work either, could even see bios with that one)
- manually restarted lightdm service
- Using inxi to figure out what is loaded
- trying to figure out how to install the radeon driver from their website (I don’t find any arch compatible version)
- Created a bootable usb stick with manjaro via terminal and booted from it with the same result. with free and nonfree drivers
- tried to remove mesa to install mesa-git (experimental) but mesa has too many dependencies (for example mhwd) to uninstall
- checked my bios version. I have the latest version already
I am gonna provide some pictures in a few min (switching to smartphone for editing)
Edit: I cannot post pictures so I am trying to type the most important information
Inxi -Gazy output here:
Device-1: AMD Navi 22 vendor: Gigabyte driver: N/A bus-ID: 2d:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:73df class-ID: 0300 Display: server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: ati, radeon unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa tty: 128x48 Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.
Journal log here:
(II) LoadModule: "radeon" (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.org Foundation" compiled for 1.20.8, module version = 19.1.0 Module class: X.org Video Driver ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.1 (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI/AMD Radeon chipsets: ... list of Radeon chipsets (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: no such file or directory (ww) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting (WW) VGA arbiter cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting" (EE) Devices detected, but none match those in the config file. (EE) Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found(EE)
Interestingly the journal shows that the radeon driver provides a lot of chipsets but the RX 6700 XT is not listed. So i am guessing that the driver for some reason is not really installed?
Any help is greatly appreciated. I am scrambling through threads for 3 days now.