Radeon RX 550 some questions

Hello. I want to migrate from Nvidia GT 710 to Radeon RX 550.
I read that all I need to remove nvidia drivers before install RX 550, and that’s all?
How works sound via HDMI is there some troubles?

I have and use an RX560.

Yep. The kernel driver will take over the rest as soon as it sees the AMD card.

I have an HDMI sound card showing up, but I don’t use it. So I can only assume it works.

Thanks!
Do you use KDE?
And should I use free or nonfree driver?

AMD drivers are open so it should work with free without a problem. (I am raunnin rx590 without any problems).

Yes, I use Plasma and AMD cards should use the free drivers (amdgpu).

Nonfree drivers are only for professional work with specific cards in AMD’s case.

Some stupid question: do you use share screen with discord, zoom? I have some troubles with Gt710 and this’ annoying :frowning:

There is only the free AMDGPU driver as the old ATI driver is long deprecated and no longer available.

That would be the AMDGPU Pro driver only available in the AUR (Arch User Repository).

1 Like

No. I don’t do any screensharing over chat apps.

If I do screen sharing, it would be over some conference software.

Also I’ve read that I should delete xorg.conf file from /etc/X11.
But I don’t have it.
All I have is:

hound@hound-pc:/etc/X11$ ls -la xorg.conf.d/
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 мар 19 23:50 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 янв  3 11:56 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  232 мар 19 23:49 00-keyboard.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  131 янв  3 11:58 30-touchpad.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   27 мар 19 23:50 90-mhwd.conf -> /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf

I have and use an RX550, works great with Manjaro & KDE with free drivers. Despite I can’t talk about sound via HDMI, I confirm that there are zero problems when I share my desktop on Zoom.

Many thanks! Could you tell what backend do you use? XRender or OpenGL? And do you activate compositor?

X.org, compositor on, OpenGL 3.1 and soft.
Gamma set to 0.80.

:grinning:

I hope RX550 would be enough for 2 monitors (FullHD and 2K)