Radeon 6950XT "Rage Mode" and power cap inconsistencies

I have a 6950XT in my PC. It’s power cap is supposed to be 335W but for some reason when I look into the limits and info in AMDGPU and Radeon Profile, it says the limit is 303W. I haven’t been able to find any information on this issue at all. No change in settings seem to effect the power cap.

ALSO, These Navi cards have a feature called “Rage Mode” which increases the TDP slightly and applies a stock overclock. Is there any way to enable it in Linux? It only seems to be a feature available in windows.

Whereas with Geforce graphics cards the TGP is an immutable value for the entire board, which is monitored and regulated in real time, AMD only caps the GPU power. All other items on the board add up, including memory, voltage converters, fans and lighting. Depending on how lavishly a custom design is equipped, it sometimes ends up more and sometimes less close to the reference energy amount. In our example of the Sapphire Nitro+ Pure, about 14 watts are used for the lighting and other small items.

330W = TBP = TOTAL Board Power

I see, thank you for the reply I apologize for my misunderstanding. Is there a way to view full board power draw?
and regarding “Rage Mode”, is there any way to enable it in Linux? Maybe via some ACPI call?

I accidentally found the solution today.

I was looking into undervolting my card for the sake of lowering the heat in my room. My bedroom faces west and in the afternoon of Texas summer heat, I get beamed by the sun. As you can probably understand, a 350W GPU doesn’t help the issue at all. Anyways long story short when setting…

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“<other_params>… amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff”

in “/etc/default/grub” and using the command “sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg”

the ability to put that extra 60W of power that rage mode enables was now an option in the core control app (a long with other hidden featuers like undervolting).

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.