Questions regarding [Primer] NTFS on Linux

I’m amazed with the post. Big thumbs up! :+1:

one thing I need to be clear of…

So I already did the ntfsfix thing on linux and now I want to use chkdsk from ventoy enabled bootable media through windows 10/11 installer. So just like chkdsk is the FSUTIL available in the installer environment ? (did a basic google search but couldn’t be confirmed)
Thank you.

Likely, very likely.
(as an installer should be able to perform these tasks …)

As it looks like you’ll probably need it anyways, why don’t you try?

There are a couple of options beside a Windows installer environment.

They are mentioned in the post right here:

[Primer] NTFS on Linux

1 Like

I don’t recall, specifically. I considered removing that section about fsutil, as it’s not really relevant. Chkdsk will be available though.

Keep in mind that fsutil will not fix the problem - all it does is check for or set the dirty bit.

Successful completion of chkdsk should also clear the dirty bit. In the case that it doesn’t, you might need to use different chkdsk options (see the relevant M$ page linked in the article) and possibly check for bad sectors (this could take a long time).

Cheers.

I meant to address this sooner, but kept forgetting - exfat isn’t native to Linux - however, it is now an available option. Though I haven’t mentioned it in the above article exfat was actually designed to enable a degree of interoperability between MacOS and Windows.

It’s only a comparatively recent addition to Linux; presumedly since 2019 when M$ published its specification; effectively making it open source.

1 Like

but…

since I’ve already cleared the dirty bit by ntfsfix without actually repairing it, so is it sufficient to only run chkdsk ?

I missed that, sorry. Yes, in that case you can set the dirty bit again using fsutil and then use chkdsk.

1 Like

just to be clear,

►RUN CHKDSK FROM BOOTABLE MEDIA
►RUN CHKDSK FROM A VIRTUAL MACHINE
►MULTIBOOT MANJARO AND WINDOWS

I don’t want the Multiboot option and since the NTFS partition is my internal storage and I don’t wanna take the risk:

so I am only left with the first option. And since I’ve already used ntfsfix i need the FSUTIL thing.
That’s why I needed to confirm which option provides FSUTIL among these options

Thank you :hugs:

Note that chkdsk and fsutil are available on both a Windows To Go USB or Windows installer DVD/ISO/USB, but not on Hiren’s BootCD PE:

Windows installer DVD/ISO/USB (recommended)

Boot with the DVD/USB, set your Language, choose ‘Repair your Computer’, then ‘Troubleshoot’, and finally ‘Command Prompt’’. Both chkdsk.exe and fsutil.exe will be available, as needed.

If you miss the ‘Repair your computer’ option, you can also launch a command prompt when reaching the partitioning stage of Windows Setup; use the Shift+F10 key combination.

Windows To Go USB

This is a fully functional version of Windows that you install to a USB disk. Both the chkdsk.exe and fsutil.exe command-line utilities are available by default.

Hiren’s BootCD PE

This bootable ISO contains a GUI app called ‘Microsoft Check Disk’ (created by Chris Hall in 2006). The tool is open source and bears no connection to Microsoft other than it’s name and functionality. Neither the official chkdsk.exe or fsutil.exe command-line tools exist on the ISO.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.