Query about the GPU being used

Hi All,

I was looking at the output of inxi -G and noticed that under Display > gpu, the value specified is the driver of my onboard GPU (mgag200) rather than my NVIDIA GPU (please see the value circled in red in the image below).

I was wondering if this is as expected, or if there is some incorrect setting that is causing my onboard GPU to be used rather than my NVIDIA GPU. I have also provided screenshots of the Hardware Settings/Configuration tabs which seem to indicate that the NVIDIA GPU is being used, however, I just wanted to double-check this.

Thanks in advance.

please use

glxinfo | grep server

and post the output.
you need to install the package “mesa-utils” if glxinfo is not installed yet.

HI @neop,

Not using, or even having, hybrid graphics, this might be wrong.

That said, AFAIK, if you have hybrid graphics, as it would seem you do, and the correct drivers are installed, it should show when you run:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

For testing the Intel GPU.

And:

prime-run glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

For testing the Nvidia GPU.

Example:

$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"                                                                                                                                                                                                                 127 ↵
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2

(I have a desktop and anyway only the one GPU. But that’s an example.

Also, you could check the installed drivers:

mhwd --listinstalled

Example:

$ mhwd --listinstalled
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-nvidia            2021.12.18               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

Hope this helps!

Edit:

For more information:

Hi @Olli,

Here’s the output:

Seems to be correct, although I find it strange that the “gpu” setting (highlighted in my original post) is set to my onboard GPU driver.

Thanks

Hi @Mirdarthos,

Here is my output to all the commands you specified in your reply:

Seems to be correct, although I find it strange that the “gpu” setting (highlighted in my original post) is set to my onboard GPU driver.

Thanks

Yeah, I honestly don’t understand that, either.

But, if you look in the same screenshot, you’ll see it says:

OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 515.76