Qt Creator will not work on Manjaro. I'm desperate

Ok so I have made some progress. I realized that I wasn’t sure if I ever tried /usr/bin/qmake6. So when I did that, the examples came back. In the end I had to also install cmake and ninja before I could build. So sorry maybe I didn’t try that before. My bad.

But now the creator page is still not working. It doesn’t crash, but it has the same drawing issues that my other attempts have had. For example, when I drag a rectangle and change its color the rectangle just stays grey.

Ok so I reinstalled Manjaro, updated it, then selected your ‘install only’ packages in PAMAC and installed them. I also needed to pacman -S cmake ninja. Then I added the /usr/bin/qmake6 (system qmake) and the system cmake to the default kit. Then I could build my project.

I can now build the project but the drawing problems are still there. It’s still basically unusable.

Am I supposed to believe that my system is so abnormal that qt creator will just not work on it?

qt.accessibility.atspi: Error in contacting registry: “org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected” “Not connected to D-Bus server”

You can believe want you want.

Arch based systems is systems with high level of self-service - meaning - if you want something which is not OOB - you need to know how to achieve the result and be able to do it - on your own.

Using the unified installer may create PATH variables which in turn will override system packages. This may present the user with hard to understand and hard to resolve issues when the system expects one library and the path provides another.

So in the end - it is your skill set and your knowledge which is put to a test - for that you cannot blame the system - only your level of knowledge.

I don’t have much experience with the unified installer - although I tried it years ago on Arch with a bad result. I later discovered that much of what the unified installer provides is provided in the official repo and split into several packages.

I do remember that I was quite confused and I remember that my - then - development skills and knowledge was less than desirable - I had a lot, and I mean a lot to learn - and I still have.

2 Likes

the dbus-daemon has been replaced with the new dbus-broker with the actual updates.

So this means that Qt Creator requires dbus-daemon? So I missed a step to select dbus-daemon in Manjaro?

Update… I installed dbus-daemon and rebooted. The error is gone but I still have the same issues and cannot use Qt Creator. Now I get this:

Failed to initialize instances shared memory: “QSharedMemory::handle: doesn’t exist”
PropertyEditor: invalid node for setup
qtc.imagecontainer.debug: void QmlDesigner::readSharedMemory(qint32, QmlDesigner::ImageContainer&) Not able to create image: 0 0 0
qtc.imagecontainer.debug: void QmlDesigner::readSharedMemory(qint32, QmlDesigner::ImageContainer&) Not able to create image: 0 0 0
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped) ./qtcreator.sh

i don’t know what you’ve installed. i use qt5 as actually supposed to be the version to use and it has none of the problems you’re reporting. this version is installed from the standard/extra repositories and i wonder that you’re reporting from aur-packages in your second topic.

I just installed Manjaro fresh again. Then I updated and installed qtcreator-devel, qt6-examples, and qt6-docs. Then I had to pacman -S cmake ninja. Then I ran qt creator and saw no examples and kits so I changed the default kit to /usr/bin/qmake and /usr/bin/cmake. That is not listed as a valid kit when I try to create a project.

I’m feeling so desperate I may install Ubuntu 20.

This decision might be better - especially when you know that what you want is working and easy to achieve there.
I only wonder why you’d want Ubuntu 20
22.04 LTS is current - and:
I would prefer Mint over Ubuntu any day …
… not only would I, I’m currently using it :face_with_peeking_eye:

Yeah I’m liking Manjaro/KDE. I tried Mint once and it was decent. Gnome I just find too hard to get past if you >gasp< want to see the root directory or do more advanced things. But I digress.

I was going to install 20 because a few people have told me it is working for them in Ubuntu 20.04. but, sure… I’ve been working on this for over a month now, I may as well as try Ubuntu 22 as well.

I’m just of the opinion that one should use what works.
If Arch/Manjaro is too labour intensive or you don’t know your way around well enough to be able to use it effectively - then: don’t.
I like Arch very much - but I also appreciate the ease of use and low maintenance aspect that comes with Mint/Ubuntu/Debian.
It is almost boring. :grin:

In Arch/Manjaro, things are changing around you all the time.
Not much - but it is work you have to keep up with.
Not the case with Mint/Ubuntu, which will stay as it is for as long as the particular version you are using is supported.

I have been a unix admin for 30 years. This isn’t working on any OS or system I try, it’s not specifically a problem with Manjaro.

Whether or not that is true.

It works for others - but not for you.

What does that tell you?

But I am not even talking about the unified installer. I just want the qtcreator-devel package to work with Qt6. That’s all. It seems everyone gets confused when I mention the unified installer but I’m really only using it as a reference.

When I complete a fresh install of Manjaro, then update, then install the qtcreator package, nothing works. That is my problem that I am looking for a solution for here. If I have installed through the unified installer since then that is on me, but I reinstalled Manjaro three times yesterday and I will keep doing so.

But what I need is a solution that works for me.

That tells me I am either doing something very wrong or there is something drastically different about my system.

But I would think if I was doing something wrong, someone would have pointed it out the five times I have reiterated my steps exactly. Then also the person who told me what steps to take is also doing it wrong.

I was told, reinstall Manjaro and install qtcreator-devel, qt6-examples, qt6-docs and I did. Then I told them what problems I had and they didn’t know why.

I’m always open to the fact that I’m doing something wrong, but I can only know that if someone tells me the correct way. I have been searching on the internet for anything to do with this.

Besides, it hasn’t worked for me on Manjaro, Ubuntu or Windows, so what OS am I supposed to use then?

AFAIK, noone retraced your steps.
except, perhaps, @linux-aarhus - but I’m not sure

I myself cannot even try, because I know nothing of/about the tool or software development in general.
I simply would not know what I’d want to achieve and then use the tool to achieve it.

As far as I can follow - it all works just fine for me.

There aren’t many steps required. Install OS, update, install application and qt6 packages, install qt quick designer plugin, double click a qml file and graphically edit it.

I have even gone beyond what the Qt documentation indicates what you should have to do because I am creating kits manually.

and I have literally no idea what that even means
as I said:

Good luck!

pamac install qt6-base
pamac install qt6-xcb-private-headers