Qt Creator will not work on Manjaro. I'm desperate

There is no output to
pacman -Qqem

Also the software store says all up to date.

Please, keep the ideas coming!

I think I may have to just install another OS, maybe Ubuntu Gnome or something like that, and try it there.

Well - I have no issues with qt creator … I cannot say why I don’t - perhaps because I am using the edge branch called unstable.

I is fairly easy to test

sudo pacman-mirrors -aS unstable
sudo pacman -Syu

I’m trying it… Right at the end of the package install I got this error:

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1. Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1. Check your device.map.

Important?

Unfortunately unstable does the same thing.

Does this error mean anything? It happens just after starting Qt Creator… I found it in my journal log:

Mar 12 15:21:04 cutie plasmashell[6029]: Failed to initialize instances shared memory:  "QSharedMemory::handle: doesn't exist"

Also this happens in the terminal when Qt Creator dies:

qt.accessibility.atspi: Error in contacting registry: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected" "Not connected to D-Bus server"
PropertyEditor: invalid node for setup
qtc.imagecontainer.debug: void QmlDesigner::readSharedMemory(qint32, QmlDesigner::ImageContainer&) Not able to create image: 0 0 0
qtc.imagecontainer.debug: void QmlDesigner::readSharedMemory(qint32, QmlDesigner::ImageContainer&) Not able to create image: 0 0 0
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)

So apparently this is an issue in Qt Creator built with Qt 6.6.0+. I tried to link to the bug report but I cannot. It was opened december 2023.

So the only way to create QML is Qt Creator 11 or Qt Design Studio or manual. I didn’t see a Manjaro package for design studio…

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

No. Not important.

Please note the answer above if you missed it. Thanks for the assistance.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I have been using Qt Creator to view and read source code from various projects - I have no crashes - thus the question - what are you trying to do?

And my version of Qt Creator is 12.0.2-3

Can you produce a project which when loaded will cause the crash ?

Can you produce a set of steps which leads to a crash ?

I didn’t know such thing existed …

If you choose in Qt Creator → File → New → Qt template → Qt Designer Form - I reckon it will be something similar

It is quite possible the Design Studio is a commercial offer - thus there is no PKGBUILD because the source cannot be retrieved.

To get Qt Design Studio you need an Qt Account and Qt Account Login is the place to sign up.

Then you can use the Qt online installer to install into your home folder.

Thank you for jumping in on this. These are the steps that I use to reproduce the error:

1. Use unified Qt installer to custom install Qt 6, Qt Creator, Qt Design Studio, cmake g++ under /home/user/Qt
  2. Start Qt Creator
  3. Install Qt Designer Plugin
  4. Create project… QtQuick application
  5. Run cmake and build
  6. Use file browser, double click on Screen1.ui.qml
  7. Now in designer, add a rectangle to the visible window.
  8. Go to the properties pane and change the color of the rectangle.

Crash will happen in a few seconds. In fact it seems to have to do with any way I manipulate the property pane.

And yes I have 12.0.2-3 as well.

If I delete the Qt installer directory and install all the Qt6 Manjaro packages there are no kits or examples.

Why didn’t you install from repositories as above? If there’s a problem with a third-party installer go to them for support.

I did also go to them for support and it was of no use.

let me install all the packages again.

Update: I already had all the qt6 packages installed so I left that. I uninstalled qtcreator and qtcreator-devel and then installed them. There was no deps because I had already installed them. I got the same thing. No examples, no kits. One oddity is that the package isn’t creating a menu entry but I launch it from the “app store” to make sure it’s the correct one.

I reinstalled Manjaro and installed the packages immediately. Still no dice. There are no examples and no kits. I first did an update, then I installed everything qt6- with all dependencies, then I installed qtcreator and qtcreator-devel.

I’m out of ideas I’m afraid. All I can suggest is try it on a different distro and see if it works there. Could install Ubuntu or something in a VM.

Yeah I guess it has come to that. Thanks for trying.

FYI I just tried it with Ubuntu packages and it’s doing the same thing.

On the Qt Bug Report I reported, they told me to try adding Qt manually. I am getting an error on all qmake binaries I try to add. Here is the error, I thought it may help:

The qmake executable /home/user/Qt/6.6.2/gcc_64/bin/qmake could not be added: “/home/user/Qt/6.6.2/gcc_64/bin/qmake” produced no output: /home/user/Qt/6.6.2/gcc_64/bin/qmake: symbol lookup error: /home/user/Qt/6.6.2/gcc_64/bin/qmake: undefined symbol: _ZN9QtPrivate25QMetaTypeInterfaceWrapperI7QStringE8metaTypeE, version Qt_6

And then it says qmake is not readable. I have no idea what to make of this.

Also I just got this error in a rogue X11 window that seemed to have come from the Ubuntu packaged Qt Creator:

Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: minimalegl, xcb, wayland-egl, linuxfb, vkkhrdisplay, vnc, wayland, offscreen, minimal, eglfs.

And… apparently this is a rabbit hole that never ends. I searched on this error and found an old forum post that indicated to run qtcreator with QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1. When I did I got a dialog with the following:

The following plugins have errors and cannot be loaded:
QmlProfiler

Plugin initialization failed: Cannot create OpenGL context.

Though when I checked my vid card support it was at OpenGL 4.3

I don’t know what you’ve done but that should not be installed in your home directory. Remove it. qmake and qmake6 are installed with qt5-base and qt6-base packages.

$ which qmake
/usr/bin/qmake
$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/qmake
/usr/bin/qmake is owned by qt5-base 5.15.12+kde+r151-1

$ which qmake6
/usr/bin/qmake6
$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/qmake6
/usr/bin/qmake6 is owned by qt6-base 6.6.2-4

Something is wrong there too because I’m pretty sure Radeon RX 550 should support OpenGL 4.6. Post output of glxinfo -B.

And now this has evolved from an xy problem into an xyz problem - do yourself a favor uninstall everthing - clean up your local configuration - that is in $HOME everything related to your Qt adventure.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with QtCreator qmake, cmake packages or their dependencies.

You have royally screwed your settings - I suggest you create a new user with nothing installed locally (that is using the unified installer).

Then use the pacman package manager to install the qtcreator package.

1 Like

I have reinstalled entire operating systems many times. In fact, I just reinstalled Ubuntu now and no change. I did one fresh install of Manjaro and two of ubuntu and tried installing qt creator immediately each time. I have tried both the installer and package manager on fresh installs.

Yeah I said 4.3 instead of 4.6. Sorry to confuse.

I installed under home because that’s the default for the Qt installer. When I install through the snap store it goes in /snap.

And there is no package qt6-base in ubuntu. qt6-core was installed when I was trying in Manjaro. I have packages qt-framework and qt-framework-6-6-core22 installed under Ubuntu which goes under /snap. I have tried adding qmake from all of them.

We cannot provide assistance for ubuntu.

On Manjaro we encourage you to use the packaged software, especially as whatever manual methods you have attempted are failing.

This is Manjaro support. If you need help installing on Ubuntu then go to Ubuntu support forums.

@linux-aarhus is right, all this stuff you’ve installed that you shouldn’t have has by now completely screwed up your settings. Create a new user and install the packages qtcreator-devel, qt6-doc, and qt6-examples only. NOTHING ELSE. If that doesn’t work then come back and request help from there, and include your full system information from inxi -Fazy.

1 Like