Python3 latest stable package

I installed python3 several years ago manually

Python 3.7.12

It still same version for years. Which package are you using for the latest stable python3 and keeps it updated in Arch or Manjaro environment? I need to keep updated it.

what’s the output of

python -V

and

pacman-mirrors -G

manually?

python 3 has been an integral part of Manjaro for many - many years - in fact pacman-mirrors is python3.

So if you is running an up-to-date version of Manjaro you should be on Python 3.10

If you mean by “manually” that that you did not use the package manager to install it
then the package manager does not even know about it’s presence
and consequently cannot update it.

… you installed it, you keep it updated …
use the package manager and updates will be taken care of

2 Likes

we have the last version in system, but you can install other ( old) version in home, it`s not a problem

edit: home… anaconda , is a user version

Sorry, I mean manually @Olli @Nachlese

python -V
Python 3.7.12
which python3
/home/axe/anaconda3/bin/python3
pacman-mirrors -G
stable

is there anything in

pacman -Qi python | egrep -i Version

wow

pacman -Qi python | egrep -i Version

Version         : 3.10.5-2
Optional For    : boost  botan  btrfs-progs  clang  dfu-util  git  glib2  graphviz  gstreamer  gtest  gtk2  gupnp  imath  ki18n  ldb  lensfun  libbytesize  libevent  libftdi  libieee1284  libnewt  libproxy  libpwquality  libselinux  libuhd  libxml2  libxslt  lirc  net-snmp  nfs-utils  nftables  obs-studio  openconnect  pybind11  qtermwidget  shiboken6  subversion  talloc  tdb  tevent  texlive-core  usbutils  util-linux  vim  vim-runtime  volume_key  vtk  xapp  xfsprogs  zbar

Should I change python enviroment or default python3 wrapper? Then removing home version
How

Here I should say some aur packages using this home version btw. Because it says your python 3.8=>3.7 and your installation can not procceed or sth like this. Like apostrophe

no idea … why you have anaconda ? anaconda is a fork
if you want anaconda, is at you to manuelly update

Well, I want to get rid of this awkward situation.
It was a mistake that done almost 4 years ago and It was newbie installation.
Need to install python3 from repo but couldn’t found a python 3 stable package

well since you already messed up the automatically procedures i would recommend to install the package “pyenv” from package-manager. you can switch between different installed python-versions with it. actual 3.7 and the actual 3.10 is installed, so you should be able to use this tool to switch between the versions. use the search function of the internet to get more infos from “pyenv”.
i would not recommend to uninstall anything manually in your case because i expect that the settings in general will be messed up afterwards.

1 Like

python 3 is the current standard
the package is called just python - it is python 3

would it not be just enough to move out of the way your privately installed python (or delete it)?

you obviously do have the repo version of python installed already

you have just set up your environment so that the one in your $HOME is used instead of the system python
that is what it looks like to me - but my knowledge of these things is very limited

1 Like

you can also only update anaconda ?

conda update conda

Yes, you can also, probably in your .bashrc (reverse your manual changes)

1 Like
pacman -S --noconfirm \
    python python-pip

How’s it going?

command -v python && python --version

gives me /usr/bin/python Python 3.10.6

1 Like

You were right
There is a configration in my .bashrc

# >>> conda initialize >>>                                                                       
     # !! Contents within this block are managed by 'conda init' !!                                   
     __conda_setup="$('/home/axe/anaconda3/bin/conda' 'shell.bash' 'hook' 2> /dev/null)"              
     if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then                                                                            
         eval "$__conda_setup"                                                                        
     else                                                                                             
         if [ -f "/home/axe/anaconda3/etc/profile.d/conda.sh" ]; then                                 
             . "/home/axe/anaconda3/etc/profile.d/conda.sh"                                           
         else                                                                                         
             export PATH="/home/axe/anaconda3/bin:$PATH"                                              
         fi                                                                                           
     fi                                                                                               
     unset __conda_setup                                                                              
     # <<< conda initialize <<<   

I was forcing paru to utilize this without notice. What a shame :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.