Python ModuleNotFoundError after install

Before performing a system upgrade (after 6 weeks of mobile only internetaccess, hence no upgrades) I wanted to do a full system backup. I wanted to try Borg backup and realized there is a gui available through AUR named Vorta. The install pulled a bunch python packages, including peewee.
But when I try to start Vorta, I get: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘peewee’

Looing at the installed packages, I see that python-peewee 3.14.0-3 was pulled in by the Vorta installation. Any suggestions to why Vorta doesn’t find this module?

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/vorta", line 33, in <module>
    sys.exit(load_entry_point('vorta==0.7.1', 'gui_scripts', 'vorta')())
  File "/usr/bin/vorta", line 25, in importlib_load_entry_point
    return next(matches).load()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/importlib/metadata.py", line 77, in load
    module = import_module(match.group('module'))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 783, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/vorta/__main__.py", line 5, in <module>
    import peewee
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'peewee'

After some experimenting it turns out that APScheduler is the only python module pulled in by Vorta that gets listed when running pip list. Uninstalling Vorta removes APScheduler. And reinstalling Vorta makes APScheduler show up again. What happens to the other modules?

This is your major issue. Very bad idea now to install something new, when the system is not up-to-date - sorry too late as you produce even more issues since the new packages are not on the same time-stamp as your installed packages. Backup with tools, commands etc you have and then update! Be better prepared, next time.

1 Like

Thanks. You were spot on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.