Python application doesn't find tkinter but it's installed

I deinstalled tk and changed my code to your suggestion, but there is still the same error. If i run:
$ pip3 show tkinter
then there is the output:
WARNING: Package(s) not found: tkinter

Looking at it calmly, @dmt is right, the libtk8.6.so library that comes with the tk package is missing. You can check if it is in your system with this command:

ls /usr/lib/libtk8.6.so

That library comes with the manjaro tk package. You can install it with:

pacman -S tk

1 Like

The tk package is missing. But if I try:

pacman -S tk

there is an error:

resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) tk-8.6.13-1

Total Download Size:   1.90 MiB
Total Installed Size:  4.84 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 tk-8.6.13-1-x86_64   1942.1 KiB   870 KiB/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
error: tk: signature from "Antonio Rojas <arojas@archlinux.org>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/tk-8.6.13-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] y
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Bad signature, refresh keyring with:

sudo pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring

If you have more trouble with Keys:

1 Like

Thank you!

Now the output is:

warning: tk-8.6.13-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) tk-8.6.13-1

Total Installed Size:  4.84 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling tk                              [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

but die error still exists. If I try to run the programm in vscode der is still:

bin/python /home/(my username)/Dokumente/Programmieren/Python/SpielTkinter.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/(my username)/Dokumente/Programmieren/Python/SpielTkinter.py", line 1, in <module>
    from tkinter import *
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'tkinter'

Does it work in a terminal?

vscode will need to be configured, not sure I can help with that as I don’t use it.

It seems to be using a different python interpreter, one that doesn’t come with tkinter.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56658553/module-not-found-error-in-vs-code-despite-the-fact-that-i-installed-it

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69603788/how-to-pip-install-tkinter - spoiler: you can’t

TL;DR Change the python interpreter that vscode uses.

preferably don’t use VSCode. Use IDLE or Spyder or PyCharm.or KDE Develop or something else.

Where are you using pip install … ? It is preferable that you use pip install … in a Python virtual Environment. But if you have set up the pyvenv then tkinter will be included in the venv.

https://www.pragmaticlinux.com/2021/12/create-a-python-virtual-environment-in-the-linux-terminal/

Now it works in Console. I try to do it with Visual STudio now, but if it doesnt work I’m going to switch the IDE.
Thanks to you all for your help. I learnd much and the most important stuff works.

1 Like

You probably set up a custom environment (willingly or not) where it’s using a different Python environment than your system’s one.

Happy to see it’s solved, but credits for the solution must go to @dmt as he told us which was the real problem. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.