Can't build nxproxy from the AUR

I am trying to get remote desktop access with Remmina and X2Go from my Manjaro work environment.

Port 22 is open and well routed to the remote end point. It is a Debian install. I can SSH into it. It has KDE and XFCE installed on it.

I also made sure the credentials I enter into Remmina are correct.

The Problem

After clicking on connect and entering my SSH-key passphrase, I get the following error: Could not start PyHoca-CLI (8): 'Failed to execute child process “pyhoca-cli” (No such file or directory.

I go into my package manager and the PyHoca packages are not installed, but all of the versions of PyHoca fail to install with the following errors:

…
…
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... (cached) GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
./configure: line 16947: syntax error near unexpected token `JPEG,'
./configure: line 16947: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(JPEG, libjpeg, , LIBJPEG_FALLBACK_CHECK)'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:192: build-full] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/pamac-build-$USER/nx/src/nx-libs-3.5.99.27'
make: *** [Makefile:220: build] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

I keep searching for solutions, but it was time for me to start asking as well. Does anyone have nice tips? Thanks in advance.

Also, maybe there is another client for X2Go on the Manjaro repositories or the AUR? I haven’t found any thus far. A simple software alternative might be a great solution.

I did use x2goclient

trizen -Ss x2go
** GET https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc?v=5&type=search&arg=x2go ==> 200 OK
aur/libpam-x2go 0.0.2.0-1 [0+] [0.00%] [21 Apr 2020]
    Arctica Greeter: Remote logon support for X2Go (PAM module)
aur/pyhoca-cli-git 0.6.1.x_2b50752-1 [1+] [0.00%] [16 Jan 2021]
    Command line X2Go client written in Python
aur/x2godesktopsharing 3.2.0.0-1 [20+] [0.00%] [19 May 2020]
    X2Go add-on tool that allows a user to grant other X2go users access to the current session (shadow session support).
aur/pyhoca-cli 0.6.1.2-1 [out-of-date] [7+] [0.00%] [26 Sep 2021]
    Command line X2Go client written in Python
aur/x2goserver 4.1.0.6-1 [installed] [8+] [0.18%] [28 Aug 2023]
    Open source graphical Remote Desktop and terminal server based on NX technology
aur/x2goclient 4.1.2.3-1 [installed] [15+] [0.83%] [28 Aug 2023]
    a graphical client (Qt5) for the X2Go system
aur/pyhoca-gui 0.6.1.1-1 [13+] [1.00%] [26 Sep 2021]
    Graphical client (wx) for the X2Go system
aur/python-x2go 0.6.1.3-2 [3+] [1.00%] [26 Sep 2021]
    Python module providing X2Go client API

:footprints:

I encounter the same error, when I try to install X2goclient. Before I was using pamac, but I saw you using a different AUR helper, so I tried yay.

checking dynamic linker characteristics... (cached) GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
./configure: line 16947: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(JPEG, libjpeg, , LIBJPEG_FALLBACK_CHECK)'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:192: build-full] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/$USER/.cache/yay/nx/src/nx-libs-3.5.99.27'
make: *** [Makefile:220: build] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
 -> error making: nx-exit status 4
^C
==> ERROR: TERM signal caught. Exiting...

I think I deleted the build files and downloaded them again. Yay just keeps cycling through the process. So, I stopped it after 3 cycles. I just don’t understand the error messages other than installing nx is the problem.

Any tips?

Is this the first time you use AUR ?

Do I sound like it’s the first time I use AUR? You can spare yourself the flame if someone doesn’t know something.

Thanks for the link, but I skim over it and see no clear-cut answers to my issue. That’s why I am going to one more time ask for an explanation to the error and maybe a hint? Thanks in advance.

There is an error in the upstream configuration script.

1. try a clean rebuild - yay may have an argument for that (or manually remove the yay cache folders)
  2. check the PKGBUILD home with AUR
  3. go upstream to the developer(s)

That rings a bell - is that maintained any more? gtk2 deps perhaps? python2 perhaps?
I could be very wrong though - that happens more frequently than I like to admit :slight_smile:

I know one thing which will work - VNC over SSH

NOTE
just did a build of pyhoca-cli package

==> Creating package "pyhoca-cli"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Generating .BUILDINFO file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: pyhoca-cli 0.6.1.2-1 (fre 01 dec 2023 18:59:54 CET)
==> Cleaning up...

2 Likes

Yay was really not helpful. Pikaur returns much nicer error messages, but it encountered the same problem when trying to install nxproxy.

Command '/usr/sbin/systemd-run --service-type=oneshot --pipe --wait --pty -p DynamicUser=yes -p CacheDirectory=pikaur -E HOME=/tmp -p WorkingDirectory=/var/cache/private/pikaur/build/nx makepkg --force' failed to execute.

Building it manually was actually worse than using pikaur, because makepkg didn’t return a useful error by default.

Pyhoca-cli is marked red in the AUR, so I guess that means it is out of date? I don’t see any download links at the X2Go site, which I guess are the maintainers of pyhoca? I guess, I will do VNC over SSH. I was really trying to avoid VNC, because of security and performance, but if everything else fails, then VNC over SSH, I guess.

Thanks @linux-aarhus , du er en skat! Det skal man sige! Sometimes, I go back to Aarhus. I already offered you a cup of coffee once. Drop me a message if you change your mind and I will make sure to contact you when I am in town!

If you run VNC over SSH the security issues does not exist.

Performance wise - I reckon it will be the same …

Ping me when you plan to be in town …

Looking at the PKGBUILD page there is dependencies on libjpeg-turbo and libpng.

Manually installing these may help solve your issue.

EDIT

I have been playing around with the build process - I have no issues building any of the nx packages.

I keep returning to initial messages - and as I have no issues cloning from AUR and building - I think there is an unresolved dependency which causes the build to fail.

My build process has added the packages to my custom repo. You may fetch them at Index of /nixrepo if need be.

1 Like

I have successfully installed the packages you mention and I keep getting the same error. I am just going to try VNC over SSH.

One thing I have learned though pikaur has the most useful interface and error messages of all AUR helpers as of 2023. I am keeping the pamac GUI for searching the AUR, but I am not using pamac for installing programs ever again :laughing:

Continuing the discussion from [root tip] [How To] TigerVNC over SSH:

The connection between :4 and port 5904 is beyond me. That’s where I get lost in theory, but also, if I just follow the tutorial “step by step”:

systemctl enable --now vncserver@:4
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-unit-files ====
Authentication is required to manage system service or unit files.
Authenticating as: root
Password: 
==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE ====
Failed to enable unit: Unit file vncserver@:4.service does not exist.

The service is not found. Gonna look for other tutorials :crossed_fingers:

The only thing that worked for me thus far is:

1. Install x11vnc and run it with x11vnc -rfbport 5900 -shared
  2. Create an SSH tunnel with Putty
  3. Connect to localhost:0 with Remmina

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.