PulseEffects over Pipewire: sound constantly disappears

Thank you in advance for attention. You already know the problem. It seems to happen randomly but there is the couple of patterns: no sound after login, after long playing (5-10 min) and after long pauses (10-15 sec)

It can be temporarily fixed at least in two ways: changing anything in the Playback section (switching to speakers, turning sound off, etc.) and just waiting (doesn’t allways work). Pure Pipewire works fine.

I removed all the pipe- and pulse- packages with their configs except Pipewire on which Plasma depends, then installed them one by one. Concluded that extra packages don’t affect anything, so it’s most likely PulseEffects issue. PulseEffects config in Home directory includes only equalizer presets.

Hi @vitold ,
Welcome to the forum.
I could respond to you that without any extra information and after looking on the packages I have installed on my laptop that PulseEffects it is not installed on KDE explicitly.
I also saw that only pipewire, pulseaudio and pulseaudio-asla and alsa is installed.
At last, I checked that .config/pulse exists on my home directory.

I could no write anything more about your post. Do you really need this package?.

PulseEffects seems not to work independently of pipewire, with pulseaudio applications as you could check on the depencies.
There is also a pulseeffects-legacy package, which has dependencies with pulseaudio but not with pipewire and have conflicts with pulseeffects.
There are many other pulseeffects packages in the AUR, which have different dependencies, but I can not recommend you any. Mostly because I do not use PulseEffects.

This is the audio section of the terminal command inxi -Fazy on my laptop.

Device-1: AMD Kabini HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:01.1 chip-ID: 1002:9840 
  class-ID: 0403 
  Device-2: AMD FCH Azalia vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1022:780d class-ID: 0403 
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.10.34-1-MANJARO running: yes 
  Sound Server-2: JACK v: 0.125.0 running: no 
  Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 14.2 running: yes 
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.26 running: yes 

Which is yours?
Hope this help, regards

@vitold Have you checked for similar threads on the forum?

It looks like PulseEffects doesn’t get along very well with Pipewire. Check this out:

Not exactly disappering, but really lagging on my install: A buffer in Pipewire?

j8a, El_Brujo and nam1962, thank you all and sorry for being absent. Just have upgraded my system and it works. Little bit lagging as mentioned by nam1962 but I think I’ll manage that somehow.

Some important packages were upgraded:

Kernel 5.12.1-1 → 5.12.2-1
Pipewire-* 0.3.26 → 0.3.27

Turns out it’s not the PulseEffects issue. The last Kernel and Pipe versions solved the problem

By the way, the output of inxi -Fazy:

Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  alternate: snd_soc_skl,snd_sof_pci_intel_apl bus-ID: 00:0e.0 
  chip-ID: 8086:3198 class-ID: 0403 
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.12.2-1-MANJARO running: yes 
  Sound Server-2: JACK v: 0.125.0 running: no 
  Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 14.2 running: no 
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.27 running: yes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.