Proxy settings in chromium not working

After updating my Manjaro to Plasma 6 I’ve encountered a weird problem: proxy settings in chromium are not working.

If you try to go to chrome://settings/system and click on “Open your computer’s proxy settings”, you’ll get an error:

“Could not load plugin from /usr/bin/proxy: Failed to extract plugin meta data from ‘/usr/bin/proxy’: ‘/usr/bin/proxy’ is not a Qt plugin (metadata not found)”

(see attached screenshot).

I had enabled proxy for some experiments before (usually I don’t need it) and forgot to disable, I couldn’t get it to work. Thanx God, it’s my secondary browser, usually I’m on Firefox.
I had to rename ~/.config/chromium to something else and to reinstall it from scratch.
Now it works, but proxy settings still couldn’t be changed.

I’we searched on google and found the same error on Arch forum, and they said “it’s problem of chromium, let’s tell them”.

Maybe somebody knows the solution?

P.S. From console:

$ kcmshell6 proxy
kf.coreaddons: “Could not load plugin from /usr/bin/proxy: Failed to extract plugin meta data from ‘/usr/bin/proxy’: ‘/usr/bin/proxy’ is not a Qt plugin (metadata not found)”
kf.coreaddons: “Could not load plugin from /usr/bin/proxy: Failed to extract plugin meta data from ‘/usr/bin/proxy’: ‘/usr/bin/proxy’ is not a Qt plugin (metadata not found)”

What happens if you click ‘Defaults’ and restart Chromium?

If it is a Chromium bug, there’s likely no solution here. Maybe take the advice of the Arch forum that you mentioned, and see if Chromium has a viable fix; or, at least look for any bug that happens to fit this scenario.

Vivaldi Browser is based on Chromium and is available in the official Manjaro repositories. Perhaps that’s an alternative that might work for you. I think it’s worth trying.

sudo pacman -S vivaldi

Otherwise, I have nothing to suggest. I hope you find a solution.

Cheers.

1 Like

I don’t remember, maybe I’ve tried it? Anyway, I can try once more :wink:

I’ve used Settings → Reset settings and it helped :slight_smile:
Enev proxy settings still are not working, it’s OK for me.
Thanx for idea! :wink: