Properly changing file manager from Thunar to Caja?

Hello,

I am new here and very new to manjaro (using v21.0.7 Xfce).
I am currently wanting to change the default file manager from Thunar (default) to Caja, since I cannot undo/redo any actions using Thunar. However, I have installed Caja (pacman -S caja) and set it to default (using ‘Default Applications’), but I am getting conflicts with it and Thunar, since I cannot copy/paste from caja into another non-caja folder (like Desktop). I have tried removing Thunar to see if it solves this (using pacman -R thunar) however I get the errors:
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) :: removing thunar breaks dependency 'thunar' required by gtkhash-thunar :: removing thunar breaks dependency 'thunar' required by thunar-archive-plugin :: removing thunar breaks dependency 'thunar' required by thunar-media-tags-plugin :: removing thunar breaks dependency 'thunar' required by thunar-volman :: removing thunar breaks dependency 'thunar' required by xfdesktop

So my question : is there a proper way of fully changing the default FM to Caja?

Thanks in advance

Those are all thunar plugins which you should be able to remove. For gtkhash you can install gtkhash-caja. I wouldn’t recommend trying to remove thunar, but instead try to figure out what is causing your issues.

Thunar cannot be removed from an Xfce installation:
removing thunar breaks dependency 'thunar' required by xfdesktop

Do you mean, with both folders from Caja?

Thanks for reply. My issue is that I cannot copy/paste folder from a Caja window to my desktop (even when I set the default application to caja). I think this may be conflicting with Thunar, but I am not sure and would like to completely disable thunar to check if it solves the issue.

Thanks for reply. Apologies I should have clarified : copy-pasting folders and files between Caja windows works, however it don’t work when I try to copy/paste from a Caja window to my desktop (and vice-versa). I not sure if this is due to conflicts with Thunar

I didn’t check dependencies. Thanks. I don’t understand… If you want to use caja so badly, why don’t you install Manjaro Mate (Community Version)?

Actually I just tried to get MATE running today (a few hours ago), but was having issues with it when it tries to boot up using the nvidia proprietary divers (it hangs for some reason and does nothing). Apart from that, I like Xfce and would like to stay on it , it’s just the FM that I’d like to swap that’s all

Having said that, I’'ll try and check out Nemo to see if it solves this

Probably because the desktop may be handled by Thunar.
Try pasting in the Desktop folder in your home directory, rather than in the desktop itself.

xfdesktop does the desktop icons, you need to pkill xfdesktop & set it to never in startup & session, then save session.

then you need to set caja to manage the desktop.

gsettings set org.mate.background show-desktop-icons true

for the wallpaper just use caja, browse to image, right click> set as wallpaper

man caja

will show commands, i think you have to add a startup command for caja.

this is all from memory & my memory sucks, use google.