Proper way to run plasma wayland session with nvidia proprietary driver

hi,
I’ve struggled managed starting session in wayland using an nvidia proprietary driver. I have added the kernel parameters from the recommandation of the archwiki and other packages which seems necessary.
There’s no more black screen with mouse allowed and the session seems to work with very low cpu usage regarding kwin, which is nice.
The only visual disturbance I can relate is the taskbar which is having visual glitches. What is rely on this behavior ?
Tell me what to give for extra informations to have the best response to, also, help others.

Visual glitches in the taskbar with Wayland and the NVIDIA proprietary driver could be due to compatibility issues or missing configuration settings. Ensure you have the latest drivers and packages. Provide details on your current configurations, kernel parameters, and versions of your desktop environment and drivers for more precise assistance.

here is the first given informations regarding graphics

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU117 [GeForce GTX 1630] driver: nvidia v: 550.90.07
  Display: server: X.Org v: 24.1 with: Xwayland v: 24.1.0 driver: X:
    loaded: nvidia gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch s-res: 3000x1920 resolution:
    1: 1920x1080 2: 1920x1080
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: nvidia,swrast,zink
    platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: nvidia mesa v: 550.90.07
    renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1630/PCIe/SSE2
  API: Vulkan v: 1.3.279 drivers: nvidia surfaces: xcb,xlib

I have to inspect with journalctl…

You’re better off using X11 for now. Wait for Plasma 6.1.1 and nvidia 555 driver to reach the stable repos, then try using Wayland again.

When you do receive the updates and try Wayland again, you may find bugs that are potentially annoying or show-stopping, so you probably want to continue with X11 sessions for a while longer until more bugs get crushed.

1 Like