Problems with Wine / Proton

I am now having some serious problems with Wine / Proton. I have used Proton (AUR). And all has worked fine until this latest update. After a few hours of compiling, I get close to the end game. But the compilation process never completes. I am seeing the following:

==> Creating package “proton”…
→ Generating .PKGINFO file…
→ Generating .BUILDINFO file…
→ Generating .MTREE file…
→ Compressing package…
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: proton 1:7.0.2-4 (Mon Jun 13 20:07:56 2022)
==> Cleaning up…

And ever since it began “Cleaning up…”, I have gotten no further response. It’s been twelve hours. I did try this on both a recent and an LTS kernel. And it has been the same result. Any ideas?

WINE did compile (successfully) earlier yesterday. But my WINE apps aren’t drawing the screen properly. I have a very black window. FWIW, I’ve tried both X11 and Wayland. But I have seen no difference - and no success.

Possibly you would like to try Proton GE which has a binary package on the AUR that should be much faster to build, the package name ist proton-ge-custom-bin.

1 Like

Thanks. I will give that a try. FWIW, I have used Glorious Eggroll before. But seeing as how I still can’t get Proton to compile (after Wine 7.10), I will try GE before baseline Proton.