Problems with Umlauts

Hi,

I have a fresh install of Manjaro 21.0.5. I installed JetBrains Rider, unixODBC and the SQLite3 driver for ODBC. I realised, that i have trouble with umlauts like(äüö) on my Database which i need for my studies and on Okular (text comments won’t show the umlauts, while they are visible in the source text). I already checked that im on the correct language package (de_DE.UTF-8) and that all language packages are installed.
I checked $locale (which i took from this another Forum post (https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cant-get-rid-of-locale/20193)) but it doesn’t return anything. Also ~/.config/plasma-localerc only contains:

[Formats]
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

[Translations]
LANGUAGE=de

wich, to my understanding, should be perfectly fine and give me all the umlauts i need.

Does anyone have a suggestion what i could be missing? I sadly didn’t find anything good on the net.

Greetings
Camrais

But it should.
It should return this:

locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

and this command:
grep -v ^\# /etc/locale.gen
should at least return the german locale:
de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8

Hi @Camrais, and welcome!

Have you followed Localize Manjaro - Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum?

Once I did that, mine is more than fine.

My bad it does. I typed $locale before :smiley:. WIth just locale it gives

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

back. The

gives back:

de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

I installed those others to see if it’s a problem with the language package (apparently isn’t).

No I haven’t. I tried it now, but sadly it didn’t change/solve my current situation. I still can’t access the Datatables with umlauts :frowning:

Then I’m all out of ideas. Sorry. :cry:

Still thank you :slight_smile: any ideas and/or help is welcome since I’m super frustrated atm :smiley:

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/78377536/youre-welcome.jpg

I get that. I really do.

I don’t know the first thing about databases and have near zero experience.
But I still tried to research a bit and found some forum posts that seem to be relevant.
Perhaps you already found and read them, perhaps this is completely the wrong direction …
nonetheless, here they are:

Shell Script, MySQL und Umlaute - debianforum.de

https://www.howtoforge.com/the-umlaut-problem-how-to-successfully-back-up-and-restore-mysql-databases-with-special-characters-using-mysqldumper

Perhaps they are helpful.

Hi and thank you for looking it up. Sadly it didn’t help me. I tried following the hints the posts gave me tho, but according to everything I found umlauts shouldn’t be a problem with SQLite since it is in UTF-8, and i couldn’t find any config files where I could check if the sqlite3 is really set to UTF-8.
I can’t pinpoint what it is exactly as the driver should translate the special characters correctly. Interestingly it works with all tables that do not contain umlauts and if i use isql from unixODBC it works even with umlauts. Also I still did not find out what causes Okular to also not show the umlauts. I kind of suspect that it is connected to my issue with the umlauts in my SQL statements.