Problems with installing KDE plasma

I am trying to install KDE Plasma (on Manjaro Gnome) following the article called “Install Desktop Environments” on majaro wiki (sorry I am not allowed to post links).

First step (sudo pacman -S plasma kio-extras) went well, but I have problems with others.
sudo pacman -S kde-applications leads to a bunch of errors such as

looking for conflicting packages...
warning: removing 'kjs' from target list because it conflicts with 'kjs-git'
warning: removing 'signon-kwallet-extension' from target list because it conflicts with 'signon-kwallet-extension-git'

Looks like my packaging is messed up (I am new on Manjaro).

Also sudo pacman -S kdebase does not work at all error: target not found: kdebase.

Is no longer a group … that wiki needs updating.

Honestly I generally dont suggest mixing DE’s …

You should probably replace these with non-git versions … why do you have these ones?
Do you have other git packages?

Welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

Save the following in a file… :arrow_down:

#!/bin/bash

if [[ $EUID -ne 0 ]]; then
   echo "This script must be run as root" 
   exit 1
fi

echo "Updating package databases"
pacman -Syy --noconfirm

echo "Removing git-packages from your system"
pacman -Rdd --noconfirm attica-git karchive-git kauth-git kbookmarks-git kcodecs-git kcompletion-git kconfig-git kconfigwidgets-git kcoreaddons-git kcrash-git kdbusaddons-git kglobalaccel-git kguiaddons-git ki18n-git kiconthemes-git kio-git kitemviews-git kjobwidgets-git knotifications-git kservice-git ktextwidgets-git kwallet-git kwidgetsaddons-git kwindowsystem-git kxmlgui-git solid-git sonnet-git user-manager-git

echo "Installing needed stable packages to your system"
pacman -S --noconfirm attica karchive kauth kbookmarks kcodecs kcompletion kconfig kconfigwidgets kcoreaddons kcrash kdbusaddons kglobalaccel kguiaddons ki18n kiconthemes kio kitemviews kjobwidgets knotifications kservice ktextwidgets kwallet kwidgetsaddons kwindowsystem kxmlgui solid sonnet

echo "Your system should been fixed now. A reboot is recommended."

… and run it as the root user… :arrow_down:

sudo /usr/bin/bash /path/to/file

They were accidentally included in the first Nibia .iso. :arrow_down:

I know about that … but they are installing packages … not using an ISO.
(“adding kde” on top of an existing Gnome installation using pacman)

Though I did inquire about any other existing git packages, just in case :wink:

1 Like

In that case, it’s a good question, yes… :thinking:

I ran the script and rebooted. Now I am trying to do sudo pacman -S kde-applications and still getting the same problem

warning: removing 'kjs' from target list because it conflicts with 'kjs-git'

If you like living dangerously, you could try… :arrow_down:

sudo pacman -S kde-applications --overwrite='/usr/*'

You should probably replace these with non-git versions … why do you have these ones?
Do you have other git packages?

I use freshly installed Manjaro with Gnome. I don’t know why I have these.

Why?
Why cant we just instruct them to install kjs first ?
Or at the very least see if there is a depends.
I dont think the first (non-file) conflict should be met with overwrite.

Sure. :slight_smile:

:man_shrugging:

To clarify
First I dont think it will make a difference, because the error is about a package conflict, not a file.
Second … if it did somehow mean installing a different version while overwriting some paths … that would be a malformed installation. Akin to a partial upgrade, but worse as it would be in the filesystem itself, while erroneously tagged to an installed package.

Why cant we just instruct them to install kjs first ?

How do I install these first?

I have a lot of other packages with the same problem

Enter a selection (default=all): 
warning: kio-extras-20.08.3-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: signon-kwallet-extension-20.08.3-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
warning: removing 'signon-kwallet-extension' from target list because it conflicts with 'signon-kwallet-extension-git'
:: kpty-git and kpty are in conflict. Remove kpty? [y/N] y
:: kcoreaddons-git and kcoreaddons are in conflict. Remove kcoreaddons? [y/N] y
:: ki18n-git and ki18n are in conflict. Remove ki18n? [y/N] y

I would say for all of them …
Though I still want to understand why you have all these git versions…

…Aha! I think I found it.
For some reason okular-mobile-git is included in kde-applications group.

1 Like

Yep, it is there

:: Repository community
   166) okular-mobile-git

I guess I could do Enter a selection (default=all): 1-165 so that I don’t install that last package?

Thats where the error is coming from.
I will notify the team.

That might work :wink:

Or maybe you could use kde-applications-meta

(though note that either is a big grouping of a bunch of packages … you dont need all of them)

You could also use the official list of the kde release desktop packages.
The string below would do that … but of course it includes things for a full kde install like sddm

DONATOR=https://gitlab.manjaro.org/profiles-and-settings/iso-profiles/-/raw/master/manjaro/kde/Packages-Desktop; wget -qO- $DONATOR | sed '/^>/ d' | sed '/^#/ d' | sed '/^$/d' | awk '{ print $1 }' > /tmp/pkglist; sudo pacman -Syu --needed - < /tmp/pkglist
1 Like

I use

less than 30 packages

out of that group and believe to have a rich equipped OS, maybe not a good idea just to install all… :wink:

Allone 12 packages for telepathy - are you going to use that?

Yep, good point. I will just install whatever I need one by one.

Best policy might be to do a complete Timeshift snapshot, then do a fresh install of whatever you want to play with. KDE is nice - it deserves a fresh go, and it’s easy to copy your hidden configs back from a timeshift backup.

Just don’t forget to keep up with those Timeshift settings - include everything, then you risk losing work if you restore those snapshots, so go back to settings and change them once you’ve a couple of stable snaps.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.