Problems installing Proton

Hey there,
I’m rather new to Arch - using Manjaro.

Trying to install Proton using

yay -S proton 

I’ve received a few errors, however I managed to fix most by googleing and reading mans.

For this one however I’m probably missing something obvious but I cant for the life of me find the solution. Maybe you might be able to help me out - already appreciate your help!
Following code snippet is from the end of the failed installation.

touch /home/leon/.cache/yay/proton/src/build/.vkd3d-source
touch /home/leon/.cache/yay/proton/src/build/.vkd3d-post-source
:: autoreconfing vkd3d...
cd "/home/leon/.cache/yay/proton/src/build/src-vkd3d" && autoreconf -fiv
autoreconf: export WARNINGS=
autoreconf: Entering directory '.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4
Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 274.
autoreconf: error: aclocal failed with exit status: 2
make[1]: *** [../proton/Makefile.in:584: /home/leon/.cache/yay/proton/src/build/.vkd3d-pre-configure] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/leon/.cache/yay/proton/src/build'
make: *** [../proton/Makefile.in:1212: dist] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
 -> error making: proton-exit status 4
 -> Failed to install the following packages. Manual intervention is required:
proton - exit status 4

Thank you again.

1 Like

I don’t think you want the AUR proton, that is what YAY is listing and trying to install for you.

Proton is included in f.ex steam, or if you install wine or lutris IIRC.
There is also a pretty neat protontricks package that allows you to edit the “prefix”.

Install whatever sofware you are planning to use proton with and I think that should be it.

vkd3d is also in the Manjaro repos.
Make sure mirrors are up to date and:

sudo pacman -S vkd3d

And if you also want the 32 bit libraries install lib32-vkd3d

But we have an incoming post from @Mirdarthos that might clear things up even further. (unless he stopped typing now because I edited in this) :slight_smile:

Hi @Skylightangel, and welcome!

First things first,

While Manjaro has it’s roots in Arch, it is not Arch and a completely different beast. See

Secondly,

There’s no need for yay when pamac, which was designed and built by Manjarto works perfectly fine.

MY BAD! Deleted this!

You simply did not know and is trying to be helpful, nothing bad with that! :heart:

But I REALLY think you should NOT install that proton version. proton-ge-custom-bin however is ONLY available through the AUR and THAT I also use.

pamac build proton-ge-custom-bin (do NOT use sudo with pamac, only with pacman)

But make sure to install steam and lutris (or whatever you will use to run proton stuff with) first.
I would also install wine if not already installed.

Edit
To use AUR it is STRONGLY suggested you switch to unstable branch.
And if you go the AUR proton route instead of the version f.ex steam wants, well, expect strange things to happen.

Thank you very much @Mirdarthos,

I appreciate the help and additional information as I did (probably quite foolishly) quickly install manjaro as a Distro as I heard a lot of good things about it and wanted to try but had to get moving for christmas.

I’ll looks through the Docs to familiarize myself :slight_smile:

Having built an Arch system a while ago I was used to pacman but since pamac is the manjaro-specific packagemanager I’ll use it starting now, thank you for the tip! :smiley:

If you want plain Proton, why not have Steam manage it?

For a non-Steam game: GitHub - GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom: My custom build of wine, made to use with lutris. Built with lutris's buildbot. if plain wine or staging is not enough.
You can also use it through Lutris if you don’t know what to do.

:point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2:
THIS!!!

I have warned enough now @Skylightangel you do you. :slight_smile:
Good luck!

Hey @bedna,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I appreciate the heads up and am currently installing said packages. :slight_smile:

For my own sanity, can you inform us on what packages and HOW you installed them?
Full command line you typed please.

Of course!

First of all - I removed all yay proton related things.

The I entered

pamac install protontricks

Without using sudo :wink:

Then I ran

pamac install lib32-vkd3d

In Steam itself I enabled the normal version of Proton - I did not download the AUR Proton-GE.

Currently trying out protontricks + GAMEID to test application and having the Docs open on the site to see how I use it correctly :slight_smile:

Thank you again :smiley:

So proton was there the whole time huh? :wink:
If you install the Glorious Eggroll version of proton (it’s actually insanely good) it will become selectable in steam as well. Just remember you use pamac build for AUR packages and pamac install or sudo pacman -S to install from Manjaro repos. :slight_smile:

Glad you figured it out!

Yeah, it was there from the start, I was just blind haha.

Awesome, thank you for the advice and the warm welcome :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.