Problem with Thunar accessing Samba shares

Yeah, something like that, i know SMBv1 is deprecated now. So, it’s possible that smbclient can have access to SMBv1 server and Thunar can’t, i do no know what is the samba component of Thunar to be honest.
Maybe @linux-aarhus knows it

→ Could you try another file managers ? Nautilus, Dolphin, Nemo

Nautilus behaves absolutely the same, I can see the shares, but it doesn’t accept credentials (just show the window to enter share credentials again).

With Dolphin something weird happened, when I first tried, it sent me to some further encryption methods dialog, but after it failed, I couldn’t recreate it, started behaving the same like the first two file managers.

Could it be that wrong authentication is stored somewhere and it keeps trying to supply that to the server (and fails) because in Dolphin when I tried to access the shares with different account (I created for testing purposes) it fails and brings me back to the first one?

Smb4k works, but if I understand correctly it uses cifs for mounting, I got that working from command line as well…

Credentials are stored in /home/$HOME/.local/share/keyrings/

I think we have no other choice to downgrade samba to see if you are luckier with an older version.

You could also look at the logs on your server, it should show something

I have two files in that folder: login.keyring and user.keystore.

But when I try opening them with Mousepad, I get bunch of giberish, and a warning that document is not UTF-8 valid. It lets me pick an encoding, but none from the list makes the text human-readable.

Is this normal?

yes. You can delete them, and then, do logout/login

got same issue after latest amba and smbclient update to v.4.14.0.1 on testing branch.
A recurrent prompt for credentials was popping-up when trying to connect to a network share that was perfectly connecting using the previous samba version (4.13.5.1).
I had to restore a snapshot of my pc using timeshift (rollback of samba or restore of the old samba.cfg did not work for me). Now added samba and smbclient to the ignore list of pamac waiting for a solution. FYI: running Mnjaro Cinnamon Edition on testing branch. Using Caja and Nemo file managers. Network share points to the home router HDD.
Hope this helps…

I got the same problem with recent samba update. Can’t login to shared samba mount from both thunar and pcmanfm. I’ve tried to list directory using smbclient and it is working: smbclient "//server/Documents" -U username -c "ls"

The server is old and need “client min protocol = CORE” to be connected to.

Maybe related to this issue : 1903955 – cannot connect to samba NT1 share with gvfs
Downgading samba and smbclient to 4.13.5 fix the problem for me. (was 4.14.2)

pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/s/samba/samba-4.13.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/s/smbclient/smbclient-4.13.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst