Problem with prime-run

Yes, that’s a known issue. Try optimus-manager --switch nvidia.

Ok so it seems that I could switch from integrated to hybrid (I am not even sure actually, I didn’t do optimus-manager --status). But now I am not able to switch to nvidia. I just keep logging in and out but optimus-manager --status keeps printing

A GPU switch from integrated to nvidia is pending.
Log out and log back in to apply.
Optimus Manager (Client) version 1.4

Current GPU mode : integrated
GPU mode requested for next login : nvidia
GPU at startup : integrated
Temporary config path: no

maybe I do not log out correctly

Maybe I should just remove optimus-manager…

1 Like

Do you use KDE? You need an additional step when you install optimus manager to make it work.

Manjaro ships with a default configuration for SDDM (the default login manager for KDE) which overrides some keys needed by optimus-manager. To use optimus-manager, you need to edit the file /etc/sddm.conf and simply put a # before the line starting with DisplayCommand and the one starting with DisplayStopCommand.

Also with GNOME:

The default gdm package from the Archlinux and Manjaro repositories is not compatible with optimus-manager, so you must replace it with this patched version : gdm-prime (also replaces libgdm). The patch was written by Canonical for Ubuntu and simply adds two script entry points specifically for Prime switching. The package is otherwise identical to the official one.

So I simply uninstalled optimus-manager and now I am able to use prime-run correctly. Thank you all for your help

optimus-manager is awesome to manage GPUs, but sometimes it could be troubling. In your case uninstalling it would be the first thing to do, fix the problems on the default hybrid setup (if any) and then go back to optimus-manager if there would be still a need for it.

I wrote an optimus-manager guide that still resides on the old Manjaro forum. I haven’t ported it here because of lack of time:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.