I cannot update my apps

I don’t really know how to explain the problem well but for a long time the application software has been unable to install or update any new apps. I tried to reinstall OBS and it says “PKGBUILD does not exist” etc. it says this EVERY time and the error for add/remove software is: Failed to generate jdk-doc information. Idk what to do as im very inexperienced with manjaro linux but im having so many problems the laptop is a lot slower OBS barely works it’s getting a bit sad for me :frowning: Please help!

Moderator edit: Useless screenshots removed. Use your words

Try updating your mirror list and your system. :arrow_down:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu && pamac update --force-refresh

Let it finish and do not interrupt the upgrade process. :arrow_down:

1 Like

Thanks for the response,
“error: you cannot perform this operation unless you are root.”

This was the outcome, I was in sudo root. Used your command, So not sure why it didn’t work…

Try again — there was a typo in my previous post. :wink:

And all of those commands should be executed as a normal user, not as root. Two of the commands have sudo in front of them, so they will prompt you for a password, and pamac will itself prompt you for a password when it needs to.

1 Like
 multilib                                                                            146.5 KiB  1832 KiB/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
Preparing...
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.manjaro.pamac.commit ====
Authentication is required to install, update, or remove packages
Authenticating as:
==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE ====
Synchronizing package databases...
Refreshing core.db...                                                                                                                                                                       
Refreshing extra.db...                                                                                                                                                                      
Refreshing community.db...                                                                                                                                                                  
Refreshing multilib.db...                                                                                                                                                                   
Refreshing core.files...                                                                                                                                                                    
Refreshing extra.files...                                                                                                                                                                   
Refreshing community.files...                                                                                                                                                               
Refreshing multilib.files...                                                                                                                                                                
Refreshing AUR...                                                                                                                                                                           
Cloning nordvpn-bin build files...                                                                                                                                                          
Generating nordvpn-bin information...
Checking nordvpn-bin dependencies...
Cloning jdk build files...
Generating jdk-doc information...
==> ERROR: PKGBUILD does not exist.
Error: Failed to prepare transaction: Failed to generate jdk-doc information
    ~ 

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

My discord is GuffGuffGuffy if you would be able to find/add me and discuss it more maybe…

I am not on Discord. :wink:

Well, apparently the PKGBUILD for one or several of your AUR packages does not exist, which could mean that the packages have been pulled from the AUR, although I would be surprised of that, given that you refer to jdk-doc, which is still listed on the AUR.

Also, in your opening post, you refer to obs-studio, which is in the Manjaro repository, and therefore you don’t need a PKGBUILD for that.

You have also not merged your .pacnew files, because you still have the Community repo in there, and this repo was dropped over two months ago — it was merged into Extra.

All of this tells me that there’s something wrong with your package database, and that you have not properly maintained your system.

Is there a reason why you want Oracle’s jdk instead of the openjdk from the repository?

Honestly, I cannot understand a lot of this, I am open to whatever solutions and definitely open to openjdk or whatever will work. Is there anyway you can help me out with screenshare or list instructions to help? As I am a bit lost now… Sorry for being dumb haha

I am sorry to tell you this, but there is no way this ends good. You just understand too little and have too many problems. You can start reading and learning, but by that amount of stuff that is falsely configured, i won’t be the one writing a guide of about 100 points to follow. I can do 2 things for you: give you a general recommendation and listing some of your potential pitfalls, so you can start searching, if you want.

The recommendation is simple: as a noob user, stick to default settings. And do not change stuff if you do not understand it at least partially. Moreover, Manjaro and arch are distros that require a minimal amount of learning/reading tutorials, wikis, forum etc. I you do not want to do it consider switching to the the ubuntu zoo.

So, what i see from that screenshot and post:

• OBS is in the repos. Why do you need to get is from git or AUR (if you have absolutely no idea what are you doing)
  • why do you bother with AUR at all as a noob user? There is a big fat disclaimer in the settings
  • jdk-doc does not seem to be a dependency of anything, it is documentation. And not a dependency of OBS
  • actually, OBS does not need java at all
  • are you serious with trying to create your own package (why?) and not knowing how to satisfy dependency
  • in the log i see the community repo…so you don’t read announcements and manage the pacnew files
  • etc…
2 Likes

Cheers I am gonna ignore the AUR update things and can just update Flatpak things I think that works out :+1: