Problem with fresh install of Manjaro: wont load/boot

Hello all. Im hoping I can get some help. Ive been trying to figure it out for a while but now Im afraid of doing more damage :frowning:

So, a summary. I recently picked up a refurbished ThinkPad t460s. It came with Windows 10, I did a bit of distro hopping and playing around/learning (and breaking things, apparently…), but finally decided to settle on Manjaro, which Im happy/familiar with, and which Im running on my other laptop with 0 problems.

So, I get it downloaded & installed with no problems. As soon as its going I updated. There were alot of updates/upgrades and it took a long while, as the laptop was running really slow. Anyhoo, after a bit the screen went to sleep. When I tried to wake it up I got a message saying:

The screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible anymore. In order to… and so on.

I did what it said an got going again.

Now… when I try to boot up, the Manjaro screen comes up, and when I select Manjaro Linux I get this message:

error: file /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86 not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue…

When I press a key it takes me back to the main start up page. And so on and so forth. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. I did some googling but I couldnt find anything definitive one way or the other. I did take a few suggestions to get in my BIOS and change a few things, such as disable secure boot.

Please go easy on me haha Im alot closer to being a total newb than a power user.

Thanks!

Before posting, try searching. There is thousand topics like this.
One from two days ago: Can't Boot After Last update - Grub can't update

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.
    (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

You can also use Maxi

to collect information about the boot process. This works,

• when you are in your running system (with CTRL+ALT+F2).
  • And also in a live environment

Hibernating (sleep) while doing an Update is no good idea :wink: (but you know this already)

Next time please (until you learn to repair by yourself):

1. change to console (with CTRL+ALT+F2).
  2. do the update there.
  3. look what the log tells you (Sometimes there are messages with what you should do !)

To repair, you need

1. to reinstall the kernel (from live manjaro with chroot)
    • search for mhwd-kernel
  2. to do the rest of the update from chroot

I actually did some searching/Googling but couldnt get it. Either I didnt understand it or I did something wrong or its just not working for some other reason.

Im gonna just try to re-install and see how that works out.

https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=chroot

https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=mhwd-kernel

:man_shrugging:

I guess we have to write whole procedure to each individual separately.

If you take manjaro as a one-way installation, you won’t learn anything :rofl: