Problem with dependencies when trying to update lib32-expat & lib32-alsa

Good day,
I like to thank all those who spent their valuable time helping others to get along. I recently found manjaro after my 2012 macbook running ubuntu was almost disposed due to performance issues. After crashing the harddrive I tried manjaro and the old thing is suddenly like new. Thank you for this wonderful efford…

I can not update or install packages anymore. I got the error message about lib32-expat and lib32-alsa. A few weeks ago I installed different packages like lutris to get some old games running. I am not sure, if I installed some old 32bit packages as well…

I found some other post in the forum. So I tryed the following:

yay -Rs lib32-expat expat                                                         1 ✘  2m 16s  
The application yay is not installed. It may be found in the following packages:
  community/yay 11.3.0-1        /usr/bin/yay
Do you want to Install package yay? (y/N)  y
Executing command: pamac install yay
Vorbereitung...
Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
Kann Datenbank nicht sperren
Fehler beim Synchronisieren der Datenbanken

Wähle die optionalen Abhängigkeiten für yay:
1:  doas: privilege elevation

Auswahl eingeben (Standard=keine): 

Warnung: das Installieren von **alsa-lib (1.2.8-1) verletzt Abhängigkeit 'alsa-lib=1.2.7.2'** benötigt von lib32-alsa-lib
Füge lib32-alsa-lib hinzu, um zu entfernen
Warnung: das Installieren von expat (2.5.0-1) verletzt Abhängigkeit 'expat=2.4.9' benötigt von lib32-expat
Füge lib32-expat hinzu, um zu entfernen
Fehler: Vorgang konnte nicht erfolgreich vorbereitet werden:
Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen:
- das Entfernen von lib32-alsa-lib verletzt Abhängigkeit 'lib32-alsa-lib' benötigt von lib32-alsa-plugins
- das Entfernen von lib32-alsa-lib verletzt Abhängigkeit 'libasound.so=2-32' benötigt von lib32-alsa-plugins
- das Entfernen von lib32-expat verletzt Abhängigkeit 'lib32-expat' benötigt von lib32-fontconfig
Abhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst...
Interne Konflikte werden überprüft...
Fehler: Vorgang konnte nicht erfolgreich vorbereitet werden:
Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen:
- das Entfernen von lib32-alsa-lib verletzt Abhängigkeit 'lib32-alsa-lib' benötigt von lib32-alsa-plugins
- das Entfernen von lib32-alsa-lib verletzt Abhängigkeit 'libasound.so=2-32' benötigt von lib32-alsa-plugins
- das Entfernen von lib32-expat verletzt Abhängigkeit 'lib32-expat' benötigt von lib32-fontconfig

I tried to remove the stupid packages. (Do I need them?) But they did not want to go away:

pacman -R lib32-alsa-lib lib32-expat                                             1 ✘  5s  
Abhängigkeiten werden geprüft …
Fehler: Vorgang konnte nicht vorbereitet werden (Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen)
:: Entfernen von lib32-alsa-lib verletzt Abhängigkeit »lib32-alsa-lib«, benötigt von lib32-alsa-plugins
:: Entfernen von lib32-alsa-lib verletzt Abhängigkeit »libasound.so=2-32«, benötigt von lib32-alsa-plugins
:: Entfernen von lib32-expat verletzt Abhängigkeit »lib32-expat«, benötigt von lib32-fontconfig
:: Entfernen von lib32-alsa-lib verletzt Abhängigkeit »lib32-alsa-lib«, benötigt von lib32-libcanberra
:: Entfernen von lib32-expat verletzt Abhängigkeit »lib32-expat«, benötigt von lib32-libva-mesa-driver
:: Entfernen von lib32-expat verletzt Abhängigkeit »lib32-expat«, benötigt von lib32-mesa-vdpau
:: Entfernen von lib32-expat verletzt Abhängigkeit »lib32-expat«, benötigt von lib32-wayland

Please let me know, if you need further information.

First you should fix the database synchronization error. You can find many solutions with the search function.

Next, please prepend your commands with LANG=C so that the output is English and understandable for a broader audience.

You can remove packages and their dependencies with the cascade option: LANG=C pamac remove -co lib32-alsa-lib lib32-expat.

(Please review the list of targets carefully, there might be many packages depending on those two. If in doubt, paste the list here before confirming.)

I have a problem with the sequence that is posted …

it starts with:
Executing command: pamac install yay

and:
Why would you run:
yay -Rs lib32-expat expat
?

next is the error:
Kann Datenbank nicht sperren
which means:
can't lock database

something is not right here

update your system
no AUR packages
perhaps use pacman
sudo pacman -Syu

after that is done

rebuild any AUR packages

Wenn Du hier postest, dann bitte Ausgaben in englisch

Wenn Du Deine Kommandos mit
LANG=C ...
beginnst
dann wird deren Ausgabe in englisch sein

und andere können verstehen, was vor sich geht

While we have plenty of folks here that speak German, this is primarily an English forum. You may post in our #languages:deutsch are if you wish.

However, if you’re going to post outside of that section, please post your terminal output in English by prefixing the commands with LC_ALL=C; i.e,:

LC_ALL=C sudo pacman -S yay

See what I did there? :wink: :point_down:

FYI, lib32-alsa neither exists in the repos nor the AUR. Nothing should depend on it.

My appologies for not beeing consitent with the language.

Thank you guys very much for the quick response and support. It looks like the problem is settled already.

I looked up this:

And after that I found and performed some:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu sudo pacman-mirrors --continent && sudo pacman -Syyu (there was some error about that continent comment, but it did not matter)

And now it looks like it is working

LC_ALL=C sudo pacman -Syu                                                               ✔  6s  
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community                               7.5 MiB  1618 KiB/s 00:05 [####################################] 100%
 multilib                              171.0 KiB  1049 KiB/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do