Problem with debugging programs in STM32CubeIDE

I downloaded latest version of STM32CubeIde (1.9.0). Program compiles fine, but I can’t debug program on my nucleo board. When i am trying to start debugging i get error:

Could not determine GDB version using command: arm-none-eabi-gdb --version

arm-none-eabi-gdb: /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5: version `NCURSES_5.3.20021019’ not found (required by arm-none-eabi-gdb)

arm-none-eabi-gdb: /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5: version `NCURSES_5.1.20000708’ not found (required by arm-none-eabi-gdb)

arm-none-eabi-gdb: /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5: version `NCURSES_5.6.20061217’ not found (required by arm-none-eabi-gdb)

arm-none-eabi-gdb: /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5: version `NCURSES_5.0.19991023’ not found (required by arm-none-eabi-gdb)

I installed ncurses5-compat-libs & lib32-ncurses5-compat-libs, according to the advice from topic “problem-compiling-programs-in-stm32cubeide”, but it didn’t help.

Сould someone please help me?
thank you!
(if it is possible please explain in details)

Hi, I had the same issue here, and it was working fine until I had updated the STM32CubeIde yesterday.

To work around this I changed the default toolchain of the STM32CubeIDE to use my system’s package instead of their own distribution of it.

Because you asked for detailed instructions:

1. Window → Preferences
  2. Search for “Toolchain Manager”, or locate it under STM32Cube → Toolchain manager
  3. Assuming you already have arm-none-eabi installed, open a terminal and run which arm-none-eabi-gcc to get its location. Here it is under /usr/bin.
  4. On the Toolchain Manager, click “Add Local…” button on the right, give it some name, leave the default arm-none-eabi- prefix as it is, then fill the Location with the location of your arm-none-eabi-* (possibly /usr/bin/). Click on Finish.
  5. Back on the Toolchain Manager, select the toolchain you’ve just added and click the “Set Default” button on the right.

I don’t know if this would have any side effects in the future (I guess not?), in that case, you should be able to undo these steps.

Here is a screenshot, if it helps: http://i.imgur.com/TBGNhrh.png (I can’t embed or insert links because of the forum’s rules - new user here, so feel free to open it at your own risk)

Good luck!

This worked like a charm. Same issue here after updating cube the other day this started happening.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.