Problem Manjaro-Pacnew-Checker

Read about manjaro-pacnew-checker, installed it. Afterr installation, attempted to run the app, told it was not found. So restarted my system to see if it would show after a reboot, lo and behold it told me there was a pacnew file. Great, looked at the pacnew, then nothing. Closed meld and manjaro-pacnew-checker said that it would now remove the pacnew file. Not what I wanted, so told it no.
After could not get the pacnew-checker to run again. Ran this command “DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff” and got this:

DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff                                                                          ✔ 
==> pacnew file found for /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
:: (V)iew, (M)erge, (S)kip, (R)emove pacnew, (O)verwrite with pacnew, (Q)uit: [v/m/s/r/o/q] v
:: (V)iew, (M)erge, (S)kip, (R)emove pacnew, (O)verwrite with pacnew, (Q)uit: [v/m/s/r/o/q] m
  -> Unable to find a base package.

[EDIT} Ran DIFFPROG with sudo, merged, than ran mkinitcpio -P
So all’s well.

pacdiff -s automatically runs sudo where needed.
So it will be

DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff -s

Because you didn’t try to start the executable from that package. The executable is pacnew-checker, not manjaro-pacnew-checker.

It is weird what you (poorly) describe. “looked at the pacnew, then nothing” doesn’t explain what happened, what you did, what was on screen, and so on.

Personally I run sudo DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff pacdiff with the admin:/// protocol if I’m not using directly manjaro-pacnew-checker.

@Teo

Didn’t know about the -s (good to know)
@omano Installed manjaro-pacnew-checker, had no idea the executable name was “pacnew-checker”. Having been away for so long, right now do call me an noob.
Sorry for a poor description. Looked at the files, clicked the arrows to do a merge, that did not happen. So I closed meld. That’s what I did.

You do not need the executable from the pacnew checker if you are going to run it manually (it runs pacdiff internally). The point of that package is the background notification on update, the reminder.

You can also disable the service and run it manually to manage your .pacnew, Teo.

So from that description I would say you didn’t save your changes (but it should have prompted to save the changes).
On each file (look at the name to locate on which side is the .pacnew), up top, there is a save button, do your modifications in your configuration file and save before closing meld.

I heavily tested the program and helped to its development (tool from @ste74). I’m pretty confident it should work, but I didn’t test all languages, only English and French, other languages may break the tool so maybe indicate which language you had the tool in when it launched so we can check that.

The problem is that: pacnew-checker works also if not exist the pacnew-check.file but all the program do not work in this way. So now i released 0.6.5 to solve this behavior

1 Like

@Teo @omano @Ste74
Thanks. Now I know that pacnew-checker will run at boot if needed.
For Meld, I didn’t click on save, cause I didn’t see the changes. I’ll be more attentive next time.

Learning my way through the 13 May major update to KDE, I installed meld.

Today’s significant download the pacnew checker appeared automagically as it had for the 18 May. But today’s meld showed to blank screens side by side, with the appropriate /etc/mkinitcpio and /etc/mkinitcpio.pacnew titles in the header. No text in the file screens.

I went to kate and manually edited the file before clicking close on meld because it immediately offers to delete the pacnew.

I had also seen the meld screen with faded arrows that did not respond to click-to-move. Will have a much more watchful eye in future on the pacnew melds.

This may be a bug.
Probably in the way it sources the files - as it does not user pacdiff directly.
Instead it uses pacdiff -o to create a list of files, and then tries to open those files manually using gvfs;

"$DIFFPROG" "admin://${file%."$suffix"}" "admin://$file"

By comparison

pacdiff -s

uses sudoedit (with SUDO_EDITOR=$DIFFPROG) on the files;

SUDO_EDITOR="$diffprog" sudoedit "$@"

This should probably be improved.

By comparison pacdiff -s always shows a menu and only automatically offers to remove if the files are identical.

1 Like

Perhaps it should be mkinitcpio.conf?

1 Like

Yeah my guess is the failure around the ‘suffix’ syntax.

manjaro-pacnew-checker-0.6.5-1 new in this morning’s update.

Man, that is F-A-S-T work! Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.