Printer overview and functionality on Manjaro

HI, I would like to start a post where we can share info on printers, multifunctional printers, what works and not, what extra steps did you have to do to get it to work.

I know there are sites like “open-printing” and a few others and I personally find them hard to navigate.
I know for most Brother printers the original Linux-tool is in either .rpm or .deb packages.
(I don’t know how to make that work on Arch-based-distro)

some of the printers have a package on the AUR, but they might have 0 or 1 vote and not been updated in a couple of years. It makes it really hard to try and choose a new multifunctional printer when you cant just buy printers until you find one that works.

For me personally, I have an old non-network printer, so I had to set it up using an old laptop to share one of the printers via CUPS. I have not yet tried to hook up my Canon pro-100 since I cannot run Affinity Photo from Linux yet.

This is the order I was thinking:
i.e

1. Which Manjaro version you are using: (lsb-release -a)
Description:	Manjaro Linux
Release:	21.1.0
Codename:	Pahvo

2. Kernel version: (uname -a)
5.13.11-1-MANJARO

3. Printer model name:
Canon mp 280

4. What Package you are using with it:
CUPS and manjaro-printer

5. What is not working:
Scanning from my main computer

6. Workarounds:
Since it's not a network printer, I have to scan using the computer that is connected via USB, then put the scanned documents in a shared cloud folder, or transfer them to a flash drive.

You probably know of a better way to disseminate this information, let me know and we can fix it.
Is this is something that would be of interest to the Manjaro community?

Hi @av8r

I think it would make more sense to create a page in the manjaro wiki. A table with columns for all the relevant information makes it easier to read.

Just my 2 cents

2 Likes

Printing is a semi frequent subject in the support forum, made a extra section in the printing page on the wiki: Printing - Manjaro

Added my own printer so there is more then one to start. I choose not to add kernel or release since that usually does nothing for a printer. Sign up and add your own hardware & solutions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.