Primary screen not working after wake from sleep (only KDE 5.26)

You may be onto something, I have DP and HDMI monitors, and I have a similar issue as on this thread, and downgrading KDE fixes it. I should fully upgrade and test latest KDE on Testing branch, confirm I still have the issue, and then use just two HDMI cables and see if it somehow fixes it. It may be a good lead to the issue.

Good thing is that itā€™s considered as one of the high priority bugs.

ā€¦ and I canā€™t do thatā€¦ I only have one HDMI port on my video card, all others are DP. Latest Plasma 5.26.3 still not fixed. Will go back to LTS 5.24.7.

For the record: Plasma 5.26.4 and this is still unfixed.

With both screens connected over DP it was initially working, but it only lasted maybe 2 reboots and now the problem is back. Still no way to sleep without having to re-configure the screens afterwards. So please ignore my misleading post above. Itā€™s not working.

2 Likes

Have you tried workarounds from the mentioned bug report? Namely this:

Disable kscreen service and using autorandr as autostart script can workaround this

or

Surely works when kscreen service is disabled. Iā€™ve handled the rearrange monitors by creating a script in /etc/profile.d and using xrandr by nowā€¦
Here is my setup:

$ cat /etc/profile.d/screen-config.sh
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x360 --output DP-0 --mode 3440x1440 --pos 1920x0 --rate 75 --primary --output DP-3 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 5360x360

To be honest, Iā€™m not really inclined to test the workaround mentioned there. A proper fix would be much appreciated.

Butā€¦ letā€™s hope thereā€™s already a fix in the pipeline. Reading this post gives me some hope. Maybe someone can try to compile Plasma using these new sources.

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently trying latest KDE packages available in Manjaro, with the kde-unstable repository, and I think so far the issue is fixed on my side. Iā€™ll have to try to trigger the issue in different ways to confirm it but I did not have the issue ā€œorganicallyā€ yet, with the system up to date with the kde-unstable packages (Testing branch, but they are also in other branches). I simply added between core and extra the kde-unstable repository in my pacman.conf file

[kde-unstable]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist     

and then I updated the package database and updated the system sudo pacman -Syyu and after a reboot it seems to work for me.

I donā€™t recommend to do it but for the ones who want to test if the issue is fixed on this current kde-unstable version, you can.

//EDIT: no, it seems it is still the same after all.

1 Like

My way to cope with it till itā€™s fixed, whenever one screen can not wake from sleep:

• Manually turn off the screen that can not wake up (e.g with a hardware button)
  • The image should appear on the second screen
  • Open the terminal and type the xrandr command that sets your normal configuration (or fetch it from history, or set an alias to it).
    For example, if I want the screen DP-2 on and eDP-1-1 off:
    $ xrandr --output DP-2 --primary --mode 2560x1440 --rate 165.00 --output eDP-1-1 --off
  • Turn the screen back on
  • Run the command that you typed shortly after you turned on the screen

Might not work if you have no working screens at all when experiencing this issue.

Advantages: no need to touch the display cables, no need to disable kscreen service, no need for startup script
Disadvantages: have to be done each time the screen goes to sleep, still a workaround:(

KDE 27.2 here, issue is not gone on my sideā€¦

Hmm, on recent KDE neon User Edition the bug seems to be fixed for me.
However now there is another problem: every time the external screen goes into sleep mode, it wakes up after a few seconds. But thatā€™s a topic for another postā€¦

1 Like

I will need to do more tests, but I think current Testing branch is working for my dual monitor setup, as it should. Iā€™m trying to do real case scenario so I take my time for tests, but the other day my monitors were not messed up after waking up the computer. I cleaned the kscreen local folder though in between when it wasnā€™t working and when I enabled kscreen2 back to test on current KDE 5.27.3 on Testing branch.

I think I also have this exact issue. Is there anything I can provide information on?
I would need to know the details of how to provide those details if itā€™s needed.
I came from an older version of manjaro kde/plastma to the latest LTS version.