Primary mouse button problem after update

Hello, I have a problem with my primary mouse button setting that started to happen after the latest update (2020-11-04). I am using Gnome.

The problem is that I have the primary mouse button set to the right button (left-handed setting) but when I unplug the mouse and plug it back in it switches to the left button (default) even though the mouse setting shows it’s still set to the right button. I also get frequent USB mouse disconnections without unplugging that causes the buttons to switch.

I don’t know how I would go about fixing this problem. I appreciate any help or suggestions from you. Thank you!

I am also facing the same issue when I disconnect my mouse and also after I log in.
@anemr were you able to solve this issue?

No. I am still not able to solve it or find something that will help me to solve it.

I don’t know what’s causing this.

But I found a temporary fix.

First test with the following command to see if the lefthanded mode persists even after disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse.

xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

If it solves the problem you may have to add this as an autostart entry for it to persist even after log off/ reboot.

1 Like

Thanks! I confirm that the setting persists with the xmodmap command after reconnecting the mouse.
Unfortunately, it also applies to the touchpad effectively changing tapping to a right-mouse click.

I found some new information from this Reddit post mouse primary button keeps switrching : pop_os

It might be a bug in Gnome’s Mutter.

The last update [Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1 came with a new mutter release.
The issue is solved on my system.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.