Preview icon on panel

I’ve noticed that the preview icon that would show where you are in open Firefox or any browser is gone. How do I bring that function back?

Do you mean the thumbnail when hovering over a task manager entry? If so, right-click the task manager and choose “Configure Task Manager”. If you do not see that option, then choose “More Actions” instead, and then you will see it.

Then, tick the checkbox labeled “Show Tooltips”.

:wink:

Where is task manager?

Never had this much trouble with KDE. It’s too easy to mess it up!

The task manager is the official name for the task bar widget. There are three types of task manager that one can choose from…:

1. The classic task manager, which shows both the icon and the name of the application.
  2. The icons-only task manager.
  3. The window list task manager, which shows a menu of all running applications.

That’s because you haven’t locked your widgets ─ *“Finish Customizing Layout”. There is however a more strict way to lock them, but then you have to lock and unlock them by way of a terminal window…

For locking: :arrow_down:

qdbus org.kde.plasmashell /PlasmaShell evaluateScript "lockCorona(true)"

For unlocking: :arrow_down:

qdbus org.kde.plasmashell /PlasmaShell evaluateScript "lockCorona(false)"

So where is it? Where is configure task manager?

How to get KDE to default setting so I don’t have to go through this confusion anymore?

Right-click any entry in your task manager and choose “More Actions”, and from the submenu, “Configure Task Manager”.

See my post a bit higher up. It contains instructions on how to permanently lock your widgets.

Can’t find task manager.

Don’t you have anything on your panel that shows the running applications? If not, then you probably deleted that too.

Right-click the desktop and choose “Customize Layout”. Then right-click the panel and choose “Edit Panel”. Then choose “Add widgets” and add one of the task manager options. When you’re done, right-click the desktop and choose “Finish Customizing Layout”.

Further locking instructions are higher up in the thread, but I’ll repeat them here… :arrow_down:

How can I show you a screen shot? All icons are on panel. I can’t find Show tool tips anywhere. Very frustrating.

may go back to Gnome. ;(

What do you see when you right-click the icon on the panel of a running application?

New Window
New Private Window
Properties
Add Widget
Add panel
Edit panel

Then you don’t have any task manager on your panel. That is probably why ─ cfr. your other thread ─ your widgets got misaligned in the first-place, i.e. you accidentally deleted your task manager widget.

So, do as I described above and add a task manager to your panel. :arrow_down:

Looks like I got task manager back, but it’s now on right side instead of the left side where is was before.

Then edit your panel and drag it to where you want it to go.

1 Like

Thanks. Where do I go to finish changes? Do I lock it?

Yes, best is to lock it. Open up a terminal and issue this command for locking… :arrow_down:

qdbus org.kde.plasmashell /PlasmaShell evaluateScript "lockCorona(true)"

For unlocking again, use this command… :arrow_down:

qdbus org.kde.plasmashell /PlasmaShell evaluateScript "lockCorona(false)"

Bookmark this post for future reference. :wink:

1 Like

Will do. Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.