Pressing SPACEBAR on the desktop brings up annoying prompt, i want to disable this

By pressing the SPACEBAR on the desktop it selects all folders and prompts me a small window that has the title “Find files on desktop” with a search field. I want to figure out a way on how to disable this because its annoying for me. I’m running GNOME. Can someone please help me?

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Please edit your topic title and remove your redundant cry for help. See How to Post.

EDIT: Thanks for doing that. :+1:

That’s not a default keymapping. Go to Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Customize Shortcuts, scroll to the bottom of the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog and see what Custom Shortcuts are mapped. You can also search for Space.

1 Like

Hi, i only added gnome-terminal “CTRL+ALT+T” in the custom shortcuts. As for typing Space to see the rest of the shortcuts, i don’t seem to have anything bound purely to Space.

It just dawned on me that’s part of the Desktop Icons NG Extension (gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng). I don’t see an option in the settings to disable it. Maybe open an issue upstream and request the option.

Alright, i’ll do that. Thanks! Also do you have any idea if Desktop Icons NG Extension controls only the desktop or if it has a hand in Nautilus as well?

I’m not sure what you mean by that.

I was asking if you have any idea if nautilus and this extension are somehow linked but, it doesn’t matter i figured out what i was asking. Thank you!