Post-12/24 Updates - Gradience, CustomAccentColors extension and GTK3

Since the Christmas Eve update, neither the CustomAccentColors extension (gnome-extension-custom-accent-colors) nor Gradience (installed as package from Manjaro repo) successfully modifies the adw-gtk3 or adw-gtk3-dark themes. (I could be mis-remembering, but I’m pretty sure Gradience DID update adw-gtk3 themes prior to the 12/24 updates.)

I had never really dug into the details prior to the most recent updates because previously it just worked with Gradience, but I took a closer look at what was going on since it no longer works.

What I found is that Gradience (I’m pretty sure, although it might be the extension) updates ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file with only two lines in it, (correctly defined) accent_color and accent_bg_color.

How is this supposed to work? (I thought I’d ask here before asking on the GradienceTeam github site.) The adw-gtk3 and adw-gtk3-dark themes are installed by pamac/pacman in /usr/share/themes; how is the gtk.css file in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 supposed to be included/read/incorporated/whatever into those themes? It seems to me that it couldn’t possibly work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

TL

Any changes made with either Gradience or Custom Accent Colors require restarting GNOME Shell (Xorg session) or logging off / logging in (Wayland session) to take affect.

FYI: Any configurations in ~/.config/ or ~/.local/ override anything in /etc/ or /usr/ respectively.

Thank you, Yochanan, I should have mentioned that I am running on Wayland and DO log off and back on after making changes, to no avail.

Help me understand how a css file created by Gradience (I think, it might be the CustomAccentColors extension) that consists of only two lines (~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css) can override or replace a file of 3468 lines (/usr/share/themes/Adw-dark/gtk-3.0/gtk.css)? Wouldn’t there be a ton of stuff left out?

Thanks for your reply!

What two lines?

In general, only certain values need to be defined in a user configuration file to override a system configuration file.

Example for PipeWire:

Thank you, so it is just the two lines in the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file (definition of accent_color and accent_bg_color) that override those two variables in /usr/share/themes/Adw*/gtk3.0/gtk.css. Or SHOULD, because those two lines in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css are being ignored, it would seem.

I’m going to install 22.0 to a new vm and see what happens on a clean install, maybe something I’ve done recently broke this on my laptop.

Thank you for your feedback.