Possibly faulty mirror: repo.ialab.dsu.edu

A few days ago, the pamac-mirrorlist.timer rearranged my mirror list. It placed repo.ialab.dsu.edu as the top mirror.

I just tried to install the testing update from that mirror twice, and it stopped downloading with errors both times.

Errors from the first attempt:

Total (38/59)                         551.9 MiB  1038 KiB/s 09:04 [#####################################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'libvisio-0.1.7-6-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig' from repo.ialab.dsu.edu : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
error: failed retrieving file 'lib32-libxml2-2.9.12-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig' from repo.ialab.dsu.edu : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
error: failed retrieving file 'libical-3.0.11-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig' from repo.ialab.dsu.edu : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
warning: too many errors from repo.ialab.dsu.edu, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Errors from the second attempt:

Total (21/59)                         551.9 MiB  4.14 MiB/s 02:13 [#####################################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'smbclient-4.15.2-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig' from repo.ialab.dsu.edu : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Then I manually edited /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist. I commented out that mirror and placed mirrors.gigenet.com as my top mirror. The update completed with no error messages, and download speeds were nearly twice as fast.

I recall having issues with the same mirror in the past. Maybe it doesn’t have the required capacity to be a mirror for a popular Linux distribution.

It’s difficult to say what is the cause.

To avoid pamac recreating the mirrorlist - I suggest to mask the pamac-mirrorlist.timer - or create a custom mirrorpool with only one mirror.

1 Like