Possible to make Pamac not to update unrelated other packages when installing an app?

When I start Add/Remove Software (Pamac), search for an app, and try to install it, Pamac installs all the available updates with it. Manually marking each of them “Ignore” and then later un-ignore to update them does not seem an ideal way. I tried unchecking “Check for updates” in the Preferences, but that completely disabled any update feature.

So, does Pamac currently have a way to disable automatic installation of other, unrelated packages and install only the packages that I am trying to install, just like pacman -S <package name>?

…which is what it is supposed to do. Avoid partial updates, this will break your system.

2 Likes

It does. Read the man page, it will tell you how to do this.

However, it is highly discouraged.

1 Like

Yes. In PreferencesAdvancedDo not check for updates when installing

But do realise that with such setting - if <pkgname>-<pkgver>-<pkgrel>.pkg.tar.zst has been removed then - because your metadata does not match the mirror - you will get a 404 - file not found.

This leads to - for the inexperienced user - confusion and thoughts that there is something wrong - and thus default is to check for updates.

The fact that you have to ask - indicates that are not yet KingOfManjaro as you do not fully understand the implications of what you want to do.

Oh - no problem - I just use -Sy <pkgname> - I get the new metadata and all is dandy.

No - don’t ever do that as this may lead to a partially synced system - and that is unsupported.

So - unless you really know what you are doing - you should always use -Syu <pkgname>.

2 Likes

There are many ways to break your system.

You might see it as an inconvenience to be prompted to install 2GiB of packages when you only wanted to install a 120kb package via Pamac…

However, Manjaro might find it inconvenient that you want to install one new package on your outdated system.

This is a rolling distribution - and already, we have many criticisms from folks who had issues with - for example - AUR packages which are updated ahead of Manjaro (delayed Arch effect) which leads to a whole lot of FUD in all kinds of other issues.

The upside is that, unlike when I used Debian in the past, I haven’t seen ‘broken’ or ‘held back’ or otherwise mucked up package problems which take a while to figure out and repair.

So please, stop the whining and get your updates :wink:

2 Likes

…and you’ve certainly been known to prove that fact. :wink:

1 Like

Sure, but not through skipping updates.

If you don’t break it, you’re just not trying hard enough.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, and as someone once said; “It’s human to err”

So...

err…

This approach is asking for trouble

If you keep shouting loud enough, you might get what you want.
:footprints:

2 Likes