Please update Chromium

Yes, but Chromium also has security issues that are fixed.

Ok, thanks for the answer. But I’ve never seen Chromium being built by the Manjaro team.

pacman -Si chromium
Repository      : extra
Name            : chromium
Version         : 85.0.4183.121-1
[...]
Packager        : Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@archlinux.org>

That’s because usually we get it from Arch and the Team might have decided that their manpower is better used elsewhere.

1 Like

Never a better time to swap to firefox :grin:

2 Likes

Firefox also isn’t being updated quickly these days. I haven’t seen fast tracking of security sensitive packages ever since jonathon left

That might be because he was the one that had time to do them. :stuck_out_tongue:

No way to Firefox, just use Vivaldi :slight_smile:

1 Like

On a more serious note I do think pushing browser security fixes should be a high priority regardless of user preference.

For the regular user I’d wager the web browser sees the most use of any user application.

3 Likes

You can find it here:
http://manjaro.moson.eu/unstable/extra/x86_64/

Use at your own risk, FF user here…

Apparently so! :sweat_smile:
But still, it would be nice if that process be continued. Fast tracking of security updates is very important. Moreover the Manjaro website very prominently displays the chart and claims boldly that fast tracking of security packages is done.

4 Likes

Chromium in Debian stable, testing and unstable is version 83! Just saying… :shushing_face:

Chromium has a pretty severe vulnerability right now it seems with FreeType.

FreeType was already patched and needs to be updated too.

Edit: Freetype is already fixed in the stable branch :smiley:

The latest build of Chromium can always been found here. Simply extract the ZIP-archive and execute the chrome binary. Currently I started to build Chromium on my rig for stable branch, which takes a lot of time. Normally I’ve no time to do any security-updates like this. So if people complain always about security updates, maybe they should consider to get active and join the team and get into packaging …

3 Likes

I tried yesterday to update Chromium buy compiling it on my workstation. After 4 hours my PC froze. Firefox takes 120 mins to compile on the same rig. So it is not our goal to spend a lot of time only to update Chromium

What happens with: sudo pacman -U https://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/pool/sync/chromium-86.0.4240.111-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

If it works without issues, we can forward that build from testing to stable as an overlay.

3 Likes

I don’t use chromium for daily use but I gave it a whirl and it works just fine and I’m on the stable branch.

Cheers

Works like a charm! Thank you, Phil :slight_smile:

True, although the chance is quite high that a package built in unstable/testing is working ok in stable as well. Should only be an issue if there is some breaking changes in the underlying libraries used.

I’m trying, but nobody let’s me: :man_shrugging:

Can I add my mustard?

I understand why this thread came about. After all, it’s a security question and that always seems unsettling. On the other hand, there are quite a few browsers that are up to date and that can be used until the favorite has been updated.
I refer to the fact that not everything is updated equally quickly in all major distributions either. Take a look, for example, which versions of webkitgtk exist for the Epiphany browser. There are hopelessly outdated versions in some top-distros.

The idea that more people help to create the very important packages is of course a good thing. At repology.org you can see very well which browser is up to date and where.

It is not for everyone, but with the Snap versions of Firefox or Chromium you are always up to date.

This should be solved via this update of packages

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.