Please help: sudo not working

After installing Manjaro on a ROCKPro64 device, I am unable to use sudo. I’ve tried editing /etc/sudoers and explicitly adding my username but it still doesn’t work.

Make sure the username is a member of the wheel group: grep wheel /etc/group

It is but the wheel group is not enabled in /etc/sudoers. I tried uncommenting that line but it still didn’t work.

That is normally set the in drop directory: cat /etc/sudoers.d/10-installer

%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

Edit: Well, I stated normally, rather I should say it is on my Plasma install. I do not have enough experience with the other installs.

Make sure you have this file: cat /etc/pam.d/sudo

auth            include         system-auth
account         include         system-auth
session         include         system-auth

I would try running journalctl --follow in one terminal and then try using sudo in another terminal and watch for errors.

When you say, “unable to use sudo”, what do you mean. what do you see?

Check the journal (previously syslog) for related messages. It might give you a clue.

When you say, “editing” are you using visudo. When used it performs basic syntax checking.

Just to test it, I’ll type in something like sudo ls. It asks for my password, I type in my password and it spits out Sorry, try again.

Even su doesn’t work.

Are you using a newly created account or the account created (UID=1000) during the installation?

This sounds like a case of “keyboard layout is not correct” to me…


I can log into my user account just fine and if I type the password into gedit I can see it’s correct.
Actually, you’re correct. When running the initial setup, I made sure that everything was US English but when I looked at the keyboard settings after, it was changed to English (UK).

I just tried flashing Tow-Boot to the SPI memory and then booting using the generic aarch64 GNOME image and it hangs at Booting using the fdt blob at 0x1f00000.

This is the account created during installation. Everything should just work. Otherwise, things like the software updater are unusable.

Keyboard layout was the issue - it gets changed from English (US) to English (UK) after the initial setup. I installed it again just to make sure this was happening.

It’s working now. Thanks for all the help.

Had similar issue with Manjaro-Arm-Gnome Edition. During first set up, had selected Keyboard English (US) but on restart the Keyboard layout is English (UK). Had to manually add Keyboard English (US) using Gnome-Settings. This happened twice. So not sure whether it is a bug.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.