Plasma desktop on external screen

What do you intend exactly? What is the behaviour you expect or want to achieve?

I’d expect normal behavior when after login I have normal, functional desktop on my external monitor with laptop screen disabled in accordance with my System Settings described above.

@tulipB it would help those that want to help you to give the output of the utility mentioned here:

Show how you configured your monitors. I don’t have a laptop but I have no issue to have my TV as main monitor, or even single monitor.

Hmm, forum does not allow me to embed pics nor external links. How else I could share it here?

Just paste the output you get from this utility inside the code ticks

```

Ok, I’ve read your initial post more thoroughly. There’s no such command called plasma. What do you mean with

Sorry, I was writing from my memory sitting on Fedora (which btw I’m trying to move from to Manjaro). The actual command is “plasmashell --replace” which brings all desktop tools to the correct monitor.

Ok, so this is probably a plasmashell crash. Reboot your machine, login and then paste here the output of journalctl -p3 -b

Then restart plasmashell and try the following:

1. disconnect the external monitor (the laptop monitor should be turned on automatically).
  2. reconnect the external monitor and post here if the previous setup was automatically applied.
1 Like

Here it is what I have running your command:

– Logs begin at Mon 2020-10-12 14:30:42 EDT, end at Tue 2020-10-13 13:58:54 EDT. –
Oct 13 13:57:35 manjaro kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT, Index (0x000000005) is beyond end of object (length 0x5) (20200528/exoparg2-393)
Oct 13 13:57:35 manjaro kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _TZ.GETP due to previous error (AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20200528/psparse-529)
Oct 13 13:57:35 manjaro kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _TZ.CHGZ._CRT due to previous error (AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20200528/psparse-529)
Oct 13 13:57:35 manjaro kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT, Index (0x000000005) is beyond end of object (length 0x5) (20200528/exoparg2-393)
Oct 13 13:57:35 manjaro kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _TZ.GETP due to previous error (AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20200528/psparse-529)
Oct 13 13:57:35 manjaro kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _TZ.CHGZ._CRT due to previous error (AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20200528/psparse-529)
Oct 13 13:57:38 manjaro kernel: usb 1-1.2: 1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x83
Oct 13 13:57:38 manjaro kernel: usb 1-1.2: 2:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x4
Oct 13 13:57:50 manjaro kernel: usb 1-1.2: 2:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x4

I don’t think it’s a matter of some crash as I’m not getting any alert. And it works as it should when laptop lid is just open. All happens when i work on external monitor with laptop lid closed. Looks like manjaro just can’t detect or properly process this situation. BTW, external screen is connected by HDMI if it does matter somehow.

Check the power settings on system settings. Disable everything concerning timeout and standby. Then test again (this is only to test if it’s related to those settings).

There are nothing about timeouts and standby as my monitor is not sleeping nor idle. It’s active showing just a wallpaper.

delete this file ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletrc

then restart the computer

1 Like

Already tried this several times as the very first step deleting it and playing around with “lastScreen” parameter in it. No help.

This seems to be related with the lid switch, but I’m not sure how to tackle the situation.

Lid switch is good also - Fedora and Windoza works flawlessly with it. Moreover, I tried tons of OSs on this laptop+monitor config - Ubuntus, RedHats, many of them. Only Manjaro/KDE plays this dumb. Now thinking to try some previous 'jaro version or just other flavor like xfce. Or just give up with it till better times and still stay on Fedora.

I have the same exact problem. When I start up my laptop with an external monitor connected it boots to a black screen (no icons or panels just the Plank dock). I run plasmashell --replace then press Alt+Shift+F12 and i can use my desktop (just have to rearrange the panel icons).
The problem doesn’t happen if I boot up the laptop without the external monitor and connect it after logging in.

In Configure → Energy Saving, is the “Button events handling” box checked and “When laptop lid closed” set to “Do nothing” or “Turn off screen”?

Nice to hear that I’m not alone :slight_smile:

Good suggestion where to look at. But seems no help still - it was turned on with go to sleep option enabled and “even on AC” turned off. Now I did switch on “Turn off screen” and “even on AC” checkboxes. No change in behaviour.