Plasma Desktop Acting Strange on Reboot

Hello,
I have an issue where it seems like part of KDE is breaking when rebooting my system. For example, panels and widgets do not display, and my desktop background only shows on my second monitor (not the primary laptop display).

I have been able to fix this temporarily by running kquitapp5 plasmashell and restarting it with kstart5 plasmashell, and widgets and panels return, but this does not surive a reboot.

(also, as an aside, it seems that I don’t have the menu bar at the top of individual windows anymore, but instead it is a kind of floating ‘global menu bar’ like on Macs. Not really the important issue though.)

I’ve been trying to figure this out since yesterday, any help is appreciated. Let me know if I need to post anything for assistance.

I appreciate the help!

Closing the issue because I found a “fix”.

I’m not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but logging into my desktop with my second monitor plugged in seems to be the issue. I think it tries to restore settings to a different place or something, or even stack the screens in a strange way.

In any case, a workaround for right now is to just plug the monitor in after logging in. Maybe I’ll find a fix for this, or make another pos.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.