Plasma 5.27 on stable branch?

An additional reason for the delay is (my speculation) due to a delay on other parts of the stable update. I am on testing and we have had a number of issues with kernels during the past two weeks. The team is probably waiting for that to be sorted out, since they also want to update kernels with the update.

2 Likes

You can always switch branches to have newer packages. We even have a dedicated Plasma 5.24 repo if it is needed: GitHub - manjaro/plasma-5.24-lts: Binary Packages and PKGBUILDs for Plasma 5.24 LTS. This includes also install medias.

We have to see when the next stable update will come. Maybe in 2 - 5 weeks …

3 Likes

5.26 seems pretty stable already on my side, not a single hiccup…

4 Likes

Better to be safe than sorry, for sure. It seems to be a reasonable delay IMO to have a desktop that’s stable :+1:

3 Likes

Beautiful - 2 weeks, 5 weeks - MAYBE. This is a really great answer, and a bit more polite than just saying ‘when I feel like it…’.

As already stated, many times, everyone should be running decent snapshots and backups.

So everyone is welcome to jump onto another branch and test.

I’ve seen many folks who got impatient, they jump on testing, they jump on the bleeding edge, then they disappear (can’t admit they were wrong, maybe) and pop up - full of Vim - on one of a couple of other distributions.

Within a month, most have disappeared from those too.

In search of the Holy Grail… when it just isn’t there.

3 Likes

The operative word being maybe

:pleading_face:

1 Like

This is a lot of fuzz about nothing. Plasma 5.27 is a command line away. You can have it at any time you want. Just do a backup, switch to testing, update, switch to stable and voilà.

Manjaro is flexible to advanced users.

The operative word being advanced

A good song to listen to while switching branches:

1 Like

Can’t listen. :ear: problem. :hear_with_hearing_aid: doesn’t help.

Manjaro is a distro for advanced users. The problem is that it presents itself as if it was good for complete newbies. It is not. As an Arch based distro, it requires some know how.

If a user learns how to use Manjaro safely, maintain it correctly, it will be the greatest distro ever is.

So how I see it: either accept that Manjaro stable branch will be outdated but good for users who don’t want to learn basics, or learn how to backup, switch branches, troubleshoot system, repair it with chroot.
It’s not Manjaro holding anything back from you, it’s your skills.

If I wanted, I could even run Plasma git with Manjaro. I’m not sure if that is even available on vanilla Arch.

P.S. My OS install is running well for ca. 8 years, and I am on testing branch, occasionally jumping to unstable if I want to get something faster.

5 Likes

Or at least a willingness to learn…

Yeap, exactly.

In a way, holding some packages for so long, creates a friction for users, so they must decide to wait or to learn.

Manjaro always had this problem with showing as a newbie friendly, just like Linux Mint. Probably that is why Manjaro devs started to keep older packages in stable repo and be more conservative about them. Years ago, stable branch was only 2 weeks away from Arch, nowadays it can be months… This wouldn’t be acceptable for me if not easiness of switching between branches.

The chaos I saw on the forum, on the internet in general, and that people mentioned they had experienced, just reinforces my opinion that I’ll take my rolling-release curated, thank you very much. That is what makes Manjaro better than other distros, after all.

2 Likes

Plasma 5.27.3 maintenance update is already released, I don’t really understand your behavior toward Plasma desktop with each new release. You always welcome GNOME updates as fast as possible but with Plasma you always keep them the maximum possible.

Know what?

You sound like you rather want the unstable or testing branch..

So this is just my opinion and has nothing to do with Manjaro, the Manjaro team, or anyone else for that matter:

I’m 100% certain if something breaks you’d be moaning here as well.

Bull***. There was a very long time while everyone waited for Gnome 40. (At least I think it was 40.)

I’m going to say it again:

If you want it sooner, help out, FFS. Switch to testing or unstable, and help. If you reckon you can do something better, show us. Don’t just sit and complain.

3 Likes

I’m in no hurry, to be perfectly honest…

1 Like

A little helps, for sure…

That’s what’s great about it, you do have the choice.

1 Like

Me either.

2 Likes