Ping takes 20s to start

Thank you folks, for wanting to continue this discussion ! By the way I tried nslookup www.google.com as someone suggested on the Unix Stackexchange, and it times out BOTH on Linux as well as Windows. This could be a clue. The outputs are instantaneous, then a long wait, then the timeout message.

[ramkumarr@RR-W520 ~]$ nslookup www.google.com
Server: 192.168.9.1
Address: 192.168.9.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.google.com
Address: 142.250.192.132
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

[ramkumarr@RR-W520 ~]$

Not yet. I assumed ping -4 would do the needful.

Yes it is lookup related for sure, because apps like Thunderbird show “Looking up xxxxx” in the status bar for a long time. And ping with an ip address is always instantaneous. Not sure I understand the “DNS Casting” bit

No, this did not help.

You wrote the key event in the initial post of the topic.
The answer is no investigate it: to monitor network traffic from and to the PC near that 20s delay, which realizes what protocol, port, destination host combination used to finally resolve hostnames.

Update - this problem is now solved. Thanks to all the learning from the incredibly useful inputs here and the discussion on the Unix Stackexchange (https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/669319/ping-from-linux-distros-20s-ping-from-windows-android-instant-why) I was able to take it up with the ISP and have my router changed. The issue appears to be related to how the firmware of my router at 192.168.9.1 was handling DNS requests made to 192.168.9.1. Once Windows got the DNS addresses it appears it would cache it in the DNS Resolver Cache (I believe) and therefore there was apparently no problem with Windows. However it appears that Linux does not do OS level DNS caching as described here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11020027/dns-caching-in-linux and therefore each ping request would, because it treated 192.168.9.1 as the DNS server, cause the router to exhibit that 20s hang. Specifying DNS servers in the Linux client in the wifi config/IPv4 tab using “Method= Automatic(Addresses only)” would circumvent the problem by bypassing the use of 192.168.9.1 as the DNS. Change of router to a Nokia-branded one solved the problem.

Not by default - but it is easy to configure that and there is more than one way to do it:

NetworkManager - ArchWiki

Had this been the default you wouldn’t have noticed the issue with your router
so in the end it’s good that it wasn’t (?)

Absolutely - let’s compare it with Windoze “fast start” which is just hibernation in disguise, a piece of sheer deceit, and causes more harm than good.

Happy that you solved the problem. But I have to admit that some things don’t add up.

But you made some tests requesting directly from your router (post #13 for example) and you got good response times. Was the problem just random or how can be that explained?

Just curious :slight_smile:

You are right. The DNS lookup itself was instantaneous. I reworded the Solution so that it merely indicates a problem “somewhere in the firmware area of router if 192.168.9.1 was used as the DNS server”. I don’t think there is enough info to get more specific than that.

I am also Glad to know that you solved the issue.
But I think reboot of Windows clears it’s DNS cache and you wrote:

So the cause of problem is still unknown as the old router hardware (or it’s firmware, as you mentioned has no problems w/ Windows), so Windows has no delays even with clean DNS cache
OR
you prefer to hibernate always instead of one-two weeks reboot? If to hibernate only, how are you got rolling and constant Windows updates came into work if no to reboot?

So or problem cause is still unknown or unusual Windows usage (long time w/o reboot to get installed updates into work).

If the issue caused by router HW or FW problem, than Windows after restart should also have that hostnames resolve delays before to push new items into its DNS cache (which got cleared by reboot).

PS May be I have obsolete/wrong data that Windows reboot clears its DNS cache. Also, DNS cache have expire time, it is not cached hostnames for forever and usually can be from several tens of minutes to several hours, so after that expired time hostname resolve retries should come into play again even on Windows, but Windows somehow got instant resolve.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.