PinePhones picks Manjaro as the default OS

Well most of you already know it, but PinePhone picked Manjaro withe KDE Plasma as its default OS. So there will be no community editions with any other OS installed. Of course you still can install different Linux derivatives. This happened in the mid of february and I was quite surprised to have this big of news not included in the news section. In my opinion this is a very strong statement in favour of Manjaro and highlights the great work done here.

The original announcement can be found here:
pine 64 news

We have a long-standing relationship with Manjaro and KDE Community, and both projects have supported us and our efforts since the dawn of PINE64. I’m not sure if I wrote about this publicly in the past, but the promise that Plasma Mobile held in its early stages was the deciding factor for us to proceed with creating a Linux smartphone in the first place. Needless to say, we have been excited to see the UI environment mature and flourish on our platform over the past 12 months. Manjaro is our core partner, offering support for all our flagship Linux devices, including the ROCKPro64 and the Pinebook Pro. Their work on the PinePhone has been indispensable, and their current OS images are among the best and most fully-featured for the platform. Working with both projects on the PinePhone has been a pleasure and I am convinced that together we will reach new heights in the months to come.

4 Likes

Erm, it was? (Unless I’m not understanding what you’re trying to ask here…)

:thinking:

The post from Philm is for a community edition. Pinephone was offering multiple community editions.

This new announcement from Pinephone is that they are discontinuing all community editions and will only ship Plasma Mobile + Manjaro as official from now on

PinePhone pt.1: End of CEs; PinePhone to ship with Plasma Mobile on Manjaro from now on.

2 Likes

Well done team Manjaro.

I wonder which i will receive on Tuesday…

Also, that keyboard and battery :+1:

The phones shipping right now, is the Mobian CE (I think). They where the last to be sold out.

1 Like

Well that’s ruined the surprise :rofl:

Only joking.

I wondered if they were going to ship whatever they received first to cover orders but makes sense to ship what people ordered.

Do you think the manjaro shop will stock the manjaro branded cases? Shipping is a bit much currently to ship a cover to the uk.