Pinebook Pro WiFi not working after upgrading to Linux 6.0

I just updated to Linux 6.0 and WiFi no longer functions, so I had to downgrade back to 5.19.12.

This is very odd.

It works fine on my PBP.

Either way, without any kind of logs, we can’t do much…

1 Like

I just updated to 6.0 again and it worked fine this time. So no idea why it didn’t earlier.

By not working do you mean it’s not recognized at all? I haven’t tried kernel 6, but now and then wifi doesn’t work at all in general, and I have to reboot to have it working again.

I have upgraded my Pinebook Pro to Linux 6.0.0-1-MANJARO-ARM then 6.0.0-2-MANJARO-ARM and the wi-fi works properly ; however I’ve noticed that it’s sometimes unavailable and needs a reboot after exiting from S2 sleep, which never happened with 5.19 and previous kernels.

I encountered similar issue of lost WiFi after rebooting into Linux 6.0.2 on PineBook Pro.
Meanwhile, no bluetooth either, which is no surprise at all.

It went back working after fully shutdown the system and cold boot again.
Reboot didn’t help.

Kernel logs during the 1st initial reboot reveals some errors regarding to brcmfmac:

10 Oct 22 14:46:52  kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_firmware_callback: brcmf_attach failed
10 Oct 22 14:46:52  kernel: ieee80211 phy0: brcmf_attach: dongle is not responding: err=-52
10 Oct 22 14:46:52  kernel: ieee80211 phy0: brcmf_bus_started: failed: -52
10 Oct 22 14:46:52  kernel: ieee80211 phy0: brcmf_c_set_cur_etheraddr: Setting cur_etheraddr failed, -52
10 Oct 22 14:46:52  kernel: ieee80211 phy0: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Default MAC is used, replacing with random MAC to avoid conflicts

Yeah, wifi and bluetooth not working when rebooting has been an issue for years and as far as I know, it’s a hardware design issue.

Cold boots have always worked for me.

1 Like

No problem on mine with this, a recent PB Pro (I believe there has been some hardware evolution for the Wi-Fi chip)

The driver mine uses is brcfmac telling the chip is “BCM4345/6”.

Didn’t notice any Wi-Fi issue with kernels 6.x except that sometimes when waking up from S2 suspend, I lose Wi-Fi until I reboot - don’t need a full power cycle though.
I’m not sure that the issue was never present with older kernels…

Bluetooth works excellent - I use a bluetooth mouse and can transfer photos very easily from my phone using Bluetooh on the PB Pro, which had always been very inconsistent with several x86_64 machines of mine.

The only weird issue I have with reboot on mine is that I cannot reboot from SD-card unless the machine has been fully powered off. Otherwise my bootloader (Tow-boot) won’t find the boot files on the SD card.

Had the same issue as OP.
Can confirm, cold boot fixes it.