Picom Config: Guide to Replacing Depreciated Options?

Hello!

I see this when starting picom manually:

~]$ picom -b --config /home/panoptitom/.config/picom/picom.conf
[ 03/06/2021 16:44:21.368 parse_config_libconfig WARN ] Option `menu-opacity` is deprecated, and will be removed.Please use the wintype option `opacity` of `popup_menu` and `dropdown_menu` instead.

I’m trying to use the ArchWiki page on picom to figure out how to configure the compositor, and clearly it is out of date. I’ve tried googling around for more complete information, but it hasn’t really gone well.

Two questions:

1. Is there a complete, current guide to setting up picom that does not use depreciated options and will work with the version that’s in the official repos?
  2. If not, has anyone successfully set up their picom.conf file to turn off all the transparency, everywhere? That’s my current goal, and it’s not going so well. I’ve gotten some of it, but the dropdown menus in the active window, for example, are still transparent. (Why this is the default, I have no idea.)

My Pi is still struggling with presenting a GUI, and I’m sure trying to present a bunch of transparent stuff I don’t even want isn’t helping.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. Have you made a local copy of picom.conf?

2. If/when you do:

• comment out/delete menu-opacity = <value>
  1. Find, under wintypes, and change accordingly:
  • popup_menu = { opacity = <val>; }

and

• dropdown_menu = { opacity = <val>; }
  1. Consider adding this line:
  • inactive-opacity-override = false;

Ref: picom(1) — Arch manual pages

Perfect. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.