Pi4 Manjaro Arm minimal update problem

Hey guys,

im running the minimal iso successfully headless on my pi.
I just updated and got an error to install the update. this is on the screen:

sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for ptr:
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: brcm-patchram-plus and pi-bluetooth are in conflict

Can someone maybe help me ?

regards

Long story short is we are in the process of switching over the bluetooth service due to choppy audio with bluetooth sound.

sudo pacman -S -dd brcm-patchram-plus

1 Like

Thank you for your fast answer! worked like a charm.

thanks for minimal arm iso. i love it for the raspberry pi “nas” headless :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad you like it. In case you did not notice I pushed kernel 5.10rc4 to the unstable branch yesterday along with the latest raspberrypi-bootloader & raspberrypi-bootloader-x packages.

1 Like

Before I forget I do read other forums and am assuming this was you posting your config.

my config txt:
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2
arm_64bit=1
gpu_mem=320
over_voltage=6
arm_freq=2100
gpu_freq=650

If you are using the default config and have not installed fbturbo you need to change back gpu_mem=320 to gpu_mem=64. Using V3D as a renderer the gpu uses cma for it’s memory and is enabled by default if fbturbo is not installed. So anything above the gpu_mem=64 will not be used and be wasted and better off added to the overall system memory.

Arch arm uses the upstream kernel and it does not have V3D. We use the RPi foundation kernel and look at it as the upstream kernel on steroids. It is optimized for the pi devices and it’s capabilities where the upstream mainline kernel is a catch all for many devices.

2 Likes

wow, thanks for reading up in the other forum and saw my name und thinked about me.
thats a nice support. yeah i mostly running on my pcs arch legacy, but since its not working i searched for manjaro and got it worked. since it is mostly minimal there feels less difference to arch.

Just changed the branch and updated succesfully to the new kernel and bootloader and changed the config. thanks for the info.
Now is everything up to date and running. Thanks.

im running a emby server on it and using v4l2 hardware transcoding.
Do you know maybe any way to run omx transcoding on the raspberry with manjaro and 64 bit ?
As far i have read in the internet, i didnt found a way to get it working.
Maybe its possible with a custom ffmpeg build ?

Best Regards!

Not possible. Only on 32bit. It uses ffmpeg compiled with the Multi Media Access Layer (MMAL) that uses RPi libs that are only available right now in 32bit.

Yeah thought that.
After updating to RC4 the raspberry dont got a connection to the network anymore.

Then ive reinstalled, updated it with unstable branch, rebooted. Then connected via SSH and installed the RC Kernel, after that i cant connect.

Welcome to Manjaro-ARM
~~Website: https://manjaro.org
~~Forum:   https://forum.manjaro.org/c/arm
~~Matrix:  #manjaro-arm-public:matrix.org
Last login: Thu Nov 19 18:36:57 2020 from 192.168.0.213
[ptr@ArchPi4 ~]$ uname -r
5.4.77-1-MANJARO-ARM
[ptr@ArchPi4 ~]$ sudo pacman -S linux-rc linux-rc-headers
[sudo] password for ptr: 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: linux-rc and linux-rpi4 are in conflict (linux). Remove linux-rpi4? [y/N] y
:: linux-rc-headers and linux-rpi4-headers are in conflict (linux-headers). Remove linux-rpi4-headers? [y/N] y

Packages (4) linux-rpi4-5.4.77-1 [removal]  linux-rpi4-headers-5.4.77-1 [removal]  linux-rc-5.10.rc4-1
         linux-rc-headers-5.10.rc4-1

Total Download Size:    78.03 MiB
Total Installed Size:  170.72 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       30.71 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 linux-rc-5.10.rc4-1-aarch64             66.1 MiB  68.2 MiB/s 00:01 [#####################################] 100%
 linux-rc-headers-5.10.rc4-1-aarch64     12.0 MiB  88.1 MiB/s 00:00 [#####################################] 100%
(2/2) checking keys in keyring                                      [#####################################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                                    [#####################################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                                         [#####################################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                                   [#####################################] 100%
(4/4) checking available disk space                                 [#####################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/2) removing linux-rpi4-headers                                   [#####################################] 100%
(2/2) removing linux-rpi4                                           [#####################################] 100%
(1/2) installing linux-rc                                           [#####################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for linux-rc
crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your country
(2/2) installing linux-rc-headers                                   [#####################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/4) Updating module dependencies...
(3/4) Updating linux-rc module dependencies...
(4/4) Updating linux-rc initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-rc.preset: 'default'
  -> -k 5.10.0-rc4-1-MANJARO-ARM -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 5.10.0-rc4-1-MANJARO-ARM
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Image generation successful
[ptr@ArchPi4 ~]$ sudo reboot
Connection to 192.168.0.243 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.0.243 closed.
> ssh ptr@192.168.0.243
^C
> ssh ptr@192.168.0.243
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.243 port 22: No route to host

Did the ip change? The only thing else I can think of is there is a new firmware-raspberrypi package in the unstable branch I have installed but do not think that is the issue.

nope, i checked my router like 10 minutes.
After reinstalling, switching to unstable branch, updating, rebooting, and succesfully connected again. then installed linux 5.9.x.x rebooting again the same. maybe i should stick to the testing branch.

edit:
the pi is blinking green 8 times then a short break. maybe that will help.

testing now with testing branch

edit2:
installed again, updated, reboot, updated to testing, rebooted, installed 5.10 kernel, reboot - not working anymore.
Found this:

8 flashes: SDRAM not recognised. You need newer bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware.

0 8 SDRAM failure

To a test and see if it helps:

In your /boot/config.txt:

Change this:

over_voltage=6
arm_freq=2100
gpu_freq=650

To this:

# over_voltage=6
# arm_freq=2100
# gpu_freq=650

Then reboot

Found the problem… Im a retard xD

I installed linux-rc* and not linux-rpi-* … Sad story. lol

Hehe. I am glad I am not the only dummy here.

1 Like

You just installed the upstream mainline kernel which can work with a little tinkering but not worth the trouble.

Yes, i installed it with rc3 and worked like a charm. on rc4 not.

So guys, be careful when updating to the mainline/rc-kernel and take the correct kernel.

you can search on pacman with:
sudo pacman -Ss linux-pi*

Would love to know more about your NAS setup running on Manjaro arm minimal image.

hey,

im running mostly everything in docker.
its great that docker and docker-compose are in the repo and precompiled. working everything perfectly so far.

Here a screenshot which apps im running:

Im booting from a 512 GB SSD, there i have installed the containers data (fast cache).

Then ive got a aktiv powered USB 3.0 Hub with 6 Ports (only using 2), there are installed 4TB WD Red and a 1 TB.

For cooling i use this Case.

Overclocked the Pi stable to:
over_voltage=8
arm_freq=2200
gpu_freq=650

Running the 5.10rc4 Kernel.

Here are some infos from the pi:

if youre interested in the compose file, i can share it with some modfications.