Permanent freeze after hitting enter on login screen

This happened randomly after being auto-logged out. Basically, anytime I login successfully, it will completely freeze until I reboot manually with the power button. I haven’t been able to login after dozens of attempts.

I will randomly have an intermitted black screen between grub and login page that says “Failed to start user login management” in the top left of a black screen. It is seemingly random, and I can’t recreate it.

I can login to my user and root user in the tty terminal, but exiting back to the login screen with CTRL+ALT+F1 just brings me back to the login screen with the password already entered, and nothing is clickable still.

I’ve tried renaming the cache via the root user, and it didn’t fix the issue.
Any help is much appreciated!

Spec details:
AMD GPU (5700XT)
AMD CPU (Ryzen 7 2700X)
Kernal Version: 5.9.16

Hmmm I had this once or twice - need to hit the restart - also sometimes on reaching the login the keyboard isn’t responsive, so I end up cycling power on the mouse and keyboard to get them hooked up again.

Ive had the keyboard and mouse issue too. But restart isnt fixing this login issue. I’ve restarted over 20 times now

At first sight, it could be related to lock screen and/or suspend function.
I do have this issues, i am pretty sure it depends on certain motherboard.

As a workaround, i ended up disabling lock screen, auto-logged out and suspend functions. I do not have time to investigate more for the time being :frowning:
There a lot of messages on many forums with those issues, i did not find any working workaround (but again, i did not investigate for a long time, because it only happens on my fixed pc at home)

@Ben, how do you do that ?
"so I end up cycling power on the mouse and keyboard to get them hooked up again"

EDIT: @Ben : Forget my question, it was a bad translation from me, i misunderstood

Is there any way I could disable those functions without being able to log in?

I do not use kde, i really do not how to do it.
I am pretty sure somebody will answer you. @Ben use kde.

Nevertheless, at this point, we can’t be 100% sure your issue is related to suspend/lock, but it’s worth trying.

FIXED:
After a lot of messing around, I figured it out.

First, I booted into a live boot of manjaro, and saw that my Manjaro partition had completely filled up. I had seen on other forms that this has caused similar errors.

For all of these partition steps, I recommend Techno Focus’ “Extend root partition of Linux in Dual Boot OS with windows and Linux” on youtube. Just be sure you have a live boot of Manjaro on a USB, and do the steps on Linux through that

Next, I booted into my windows boot to partition some more unallocated space, and move the partition near my linux boot partition (IF ANYONE IS FOLLOWING THIS, DO NOT MERGE THE PARTITIONS IN WINDOWS KEEP READING.)

This then caused a whole new grub error, which I fix later.

Third, I went into my live boot of manjaro again, and merged the partitions using gparted, which you can easily lookup and install on the arch user repository.

For all of these partition steps, I recommend Techno Focus’ “Extend root partition of Linux in Dual Boot OS with windows and Linux” on youtube. Just be sure you have a live boot of Manjaro on a USB, and do the steps on Linux through that.

And finally, I used manjaro-chroot to reinstall and update grub to get rid of the error caused in earlier steps. To do this:

• Open terminal
  • sudo manjaro-chroot -a (and select system to mount)
  • grub-install /dev/sda (it’s sda for me; make sure you choose the right drive!)
  • grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
  • update-grub

Then reboot your system. (thank you to y6nH on GitHub)

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.