Performance issue when power mode = Battery

Alright Thank you!!

@jcube19 Thanks for not even acknowledging my post. Good luck.

I’m thinking logs. So, to get the logs:

journalctl --priority=warning..err --no-pager --boot=-1 --unit=cpupower.service

Where:

• The --priority=warning..err argument limits the output to warnings and errors only;
  • and the --no-pager formats the output nicely for use here, on the forum;
  • the --boot=-1 argument limits the output to log messages from the previous boot. This can be adjusted to -2 for the boot before that, -3 to the boot before that, and so on and so forth; and
  • --unit=cpupower.service limits the output to anything related to the cpupower service.

Also try and provide the output of the following:

systemctl status cpupower

Hey Sorry for not replying but I don’t think OS is an issue here.

Okay I fixed this one but the performance issue still persists.

My previous reply regarding that still applies.

I tried running some softwares with prime-run command still same issue

I can honestly then say:

:man_shrugging:

Because, I don’t know further…

Thank you for the help I really loved manjaro, the people and the OS itself I don’t want to go but I guess I don’t have any other option until i build my pc where battery won’t create any fuss. I am not even able to update bios from linux :slightly_frowning_face: . I know there would be a way to do so using USB or something.

I have to agree.

1 Like

Updating system BIOS to latest version (F.21 Rev.A - Dec 27, 2023) would need a Windows OS
This is a known limitation for HP systems, so experienced forum users would not suggest updating BIOS unless inxi -Aa data shows a dual-boot system

I think you can use Hiren’s BootCD PE for that.

1 Like

A BIOS can usually be updated via the BIOS itself, using a fat32 formatted USB drive; that is, unless HP have graciously locked out their Users from doing so.

1 Like

That’s how I did mine, but like you mentioned, it depends…

That is correct for vendors which do not use LVFS: Device List

However HP does LVFS: Search Results

So you can do a firmware update using

sudo fwupdmgr get-updates

Then

sudo fwupdmgr upgrade
1 Like

ArchWiki - Flashing BIOS from Linux - Windows PE

If your manufacturer only provides an exe file and you were not successful following the prior advice, you can update your bios creating a Windows PE flash drive and from there flash the bios update as normally.

ArchWiki - Flashing BIOS from Linux - Vendor Specific - HP

Warning: Not all HP BIOSes are the same. A method that may work in one of their models may or may not work in another model.For eg. neither of the below methods work with the HP T730 Thin Client.

1 Like

i think it’s just a limitation of how some laptops work;they rely on the external PSU; even if your battery is at 100%.

i have an ASUS tuf laptop and when gaming, it uses both power sources and you can see the battery slowly draining even though it’s plugged.

i noticed that in general removing the power adapter would result in slower performance,and i have cpu power set to performance.

2 Likes

Hey everyone thank you for helping me out. So I jumped onto windows and guess what I was facing same problem with windows now.Even after bios update and everything. I came across a blog tho. I’m not able to attach link here. But it is on wintipsdotorg (fix-cpu-not-running-at-full-speed-in-windows-10) I tried everything still was facing same issue. But at last I tried throttlestop method which turns of bd_prochot. Do you think similar thing can be achieved in linux? If yes how can do it. Thank you in advance. I wanna move back to manjaro I miss pacman from windows.

I finally found the issue and the solution. For anyone having same issue as me this might be of help.

PC : HP Pavilion CS 3006tx
Processor : Intel I5 10th generation
So the problem was my PC would throttle the CPU frequency on battery and it was very slow

Solution : on windows you can use throttlestop to do this but on linux you can use msr-tools (disabling bd_prochot)

Install msr-tools
pacman -S msr-tools

Load msr module
sudo modprobe msr

Read 0x1FC register on all cores and output as decimal

sudo rdmsr -a -d 0x1FC

Switch off the bd-prochot bit by subtracting 1 from the decimal output above. Do not copy paste the below command, but take the output of above command, subtract 1 and replace 2359390 with that.

sudo wrmsr 0x1FC 2359390

If this line gives error you might want to disable secure boot.

credits and useful blogs :
https://github.com/DivyanshuVerma/throttlestop-linux
https://www.wintips.org/fix-cpu-not-running-at-full-speed-in-windows-10/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.