PC will no longer boot after following interrupted upgrade/update instructions

are you chrooted?

I’m at a root prompt yes.

[manjaro-cinnamon grub]# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/boot/efi'.
[manjaro-cinnamon grub]# cd /
[manjaro-cinnamon /]# find / -name efi -print
find: ‘/run/user/1000/doc’: Permission denied
find: ‘/run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied
/run/miso/sfs/rootfs/usr/lib/modules/6.1.1-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/firmware/efi
/run/miso/sfs/rootfs/usr/lib/os-probes/mounted/efi
/run/miso/sfs/rootfs/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi
/run/miso/overlay_root/upper/usr/lib/modules/5.15.93-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/firmware/efi
/run/miso/overlay_root/upper/usr/lib/modules/6.1.11-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/firmware/efi
/run/miso/overlay_root/upper/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi
/run/miso/bootmnt/efi
/sys/firmware/efi
/usr/lib/modules/5.15.93-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/firmware/efi
/usr/lib/modules/6.1.11-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/firmware/efi
/usr/lib/os-probes/mounted/efi
/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi
[manjaro-cinnamon /]# manjaro-chroot -a^C
[manjaro-cinnamon /]# 
[manjaro-cinnamon /]# 
[manjaro-cinnamon /]# ls /boot/efi/EFI
ls: cannot access '/boot/efi/EFI': No such file or directory
[manjaro-cinnamon /]# ldconfig
[manjaro-cinnamon /]# ldconfig
[manjaro-cinnamon /]# cd /boot
[manjaro-cinnamon boot]# ls
amd-ucode.img  initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img  initramfs-6.1-x86_64-fallback.img  intel-ucode.img       linux61-x86_64.kver  vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
grub           initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img           initramfs-6.1-x86_64.img           linux515-x86_64.kver  memtest86+           vmlinuz-6.1-x86_64
[manjaro-cinnamon boot]# 

well it looks like you wiped out your efi partition with the command above…
but you really dont need grub when you are on uefi, but if you deleted your efi it may not work, i dont know…
so exit chroot and reboot and see if you can boot normally…

I’ll give it a try. If it doesn’t boot I’ll be back in the morning

No difference at all, same as all day.
When I boot manjaro, the PC turns off
When I boot Ubuntu, I get a grub> prompt.
I’ll try again tomorrow

I’m still hosed :frowning_face:

My Manjaro files are all still there, but the only way I can access them is with a live USB.
I can load my Windows partition but only by booting through BIOS.

When I boot Manjaro I get a menu with “UEFI Firmware Settings” only.

If I edit the file off the boot menu, it says only this:

setparams ‘UEFI Firmware Settings’
fwsetup

It just seems like there should be a way to fix this, without installing another operating system, wiping out everything and starting over. It was a lot of work. Years actually :confused:
Lots of stuff loaded and customizations and all that.

I noticed this previous entry in the Support record:

Perhaps I could recreate the EFI partition off the bootable USB, as this person did?

You can always give that a try. :slight_smile:

So you’re agreeing that is the same situation as this?

I thought you had already established that you had somehow managed to delete your EFI partition?

Well brahma said that last week.
I agree that /boot/efi/EFI doesn’t exist when I try to list it.

I’m a little confused though as it looks like you were involved in the previous instance. But there’s some slight-of-hand going on in the support record. First the person asks how to recreate the deleted EFI partition. You respond with:

Okay, this is going to be a little tricky…

First, download a recent ISO of Manjaro and “burn” it to a USB stick or to a DVD (if you have a DVD drive).

Next, boot up from that Manjaro ISO in live mode and use the Partition Manager to see whether your newly created EFI partition has the correct esp/boot flag set.

Where was the procedure where the EFI partition was created?
First he asked how to do it, and then on the next line you referred to it as being done. I don’t see it, lol

Also it looks like my live USB instance of Manjaro doesn’t have a Partition Manager I can find. I’ve got Manjaro Cinnamon off the most recent ISO

The original poster on that thread had already recreated his EFI partition in the Partition Manager. It’s not hard to do…: :arrow_down:

1. Create a partition of about 300 MiB in size.
  2. Format the partition as vfat (FAT32).
  3. Set the esp flag on the partition.
  4. Set the mountpoint as /boot/efi.

All of the above can be done from the Partition Manager. The rest of my post on the other thread references getting the UUID of the newly created partition, adding a record for it to /etc/fstab, and installing the boot loader.

Note that all of the above is only applicable if your system boots in native UEFI mode. If it boots in legacy BIOS emulation mode, then that’s a whole other matter, and you should never mix UEFI-aware operating systems with non-UEFI-aware operating systems on the same drive. It works if they are on different drives, but it will not work if they are on the same drive.

Look in the menu for something like GParted. Every installer image has a partitioning tool — how else are you going to partition the drive and install the OS? :man_shrugging:

That’s what I don’t get.
I’ve looked through all the programs on the Manjaro live USB. There is no partitioning tool. No Gparted, disk management utility anywhere I can see would it be under another name?

GSmartControl??

Well, I don’t know Cinnamon and what it prefers as a partitioning tool — Cinnamon is gtk-based, so it’ll probably not be using the KDE Partition Manager, which is qt-based.

But there has to be a partitioning tool on that image. :man_shrugging:

No, that’s for monitoring your drive(s) for errors.

Hardware Locality Istopo?

That doesn’t ring a bell at all. :man_shrugging:

There’s nothing in Administration I can see.
Can I install Gparted off the network then?

Yes, if the machine has a working network connection.

I got it loaded.
There’s an EFI filesystem partition already there. Its not mounted.
It says Warning! Unable to read the contents of this file system.
This cause might be a missing software package.
The following list of packages is required for fat32 filesystem support: dosfstools, mtools