Partitioning my in use drive from a live usb

Hi, could one safely partition an in use ssd from a live usb? In my case, I’d like to set up a dual boot with arch, from manjaro. I didn’t partition the drive when I first installed manjaro though, so would it be too dangerous to try and do that?

Here is lsblk

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
nvme0n1 259:0 0 238.5G 0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 300M 0 part /boot/efi
└─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 238.2G 0 part /run/timeshift/backup

The reason is that I’d like to set up a bare bones arch install with a window manager. Thanks for any input

Yes (when you boot into live ISO, the ssd partitions of your normal install won’t be in use then). I would recommend to use GParted for repartitioning work. Backup valuable data before you start. By the way, where is your / partition?

2 Likes

Not sure I understood the question, my / partitions location?

Are you speaking of the root files for my main manjaro partition? If so, they would be located on the sole ssd, the one I am considering partitioning 50gb from, which is the nvme0n1 drive.

OK, I thought you have already a system installed on nvme0n1, I was asking since I could not see a / partition where the system is installed. 50 GiB for your / partition is a good selection.

1 Like

Ok. Do you have any last minute tips as to avoid bricking my only laptop? Thanks again

Backup valuable files before you start and just follow the Manjaro install guide. If questions occur better ask before doing something stupid. :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks!

Just an update in case anyone ever sees this. It worked fine. I installed arch first, and left a large partition for manjaro. I then booted into manjaro live usb, and the install process from there was easy and straight forward. Am now enjoying a nice dual boot setup.

1 Like